Liquids Accident with Unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RelievedSimplet, Apr 14, 2009.

1. RelievedSimplet macrumors member

Well, the other day I was being a dumb college student and drinkin with some friends. Apparently one spilled a glass of wine on my late 2008 MBP. Now, I immediately shut it down and pulled the battery and let things dry, and carefully cleaned the keyboard/outside of the case areas which were all covered. I then proceeded to put the battery back in and noticed that there was dried wine in the hard drive/battery area as well.
    Basically I'm wondering what I should do. It seems to function properly, but obviously some of the liquid got through the system and past the mainboard area which makes me nervous. The only thing not functioning properly that I've noticed is the keyboard backlight. I used to have nice, uniform backlight on all the keys, but now the center of the keyboard is nice and bright like it used to be, while the outer edges of the keyboard aren't lit at all anymore.
    Should I bring it to the Apple store and have them see what's wrong, and pay them for the fix? Is there more risk of things going wrong down the line if I don't do so? I know I'll have to pay it out of pocket, but I'd rather pay a couple hundred now than for a new MBP down the road. Anyone with experience dealing with this stuff? And yes I know, I've learned my lesson about leaving my MBP open around drunk freshmen who can't control themselves, the hard way.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What are you thinking!!! Don't take it to Apple. :eek:

3. RelievedSimplet thread starter macrumors member

Why not though? The backlight keyboard may seem unimportant to some, but I spend about 3/4 of my day in a pitch black room and enjoy the keyboard being lit for random Shift+whatever key combos. Is there some way to fix this myself? Will Apple kill my warranty if I bring it to them and tell them honestly what happened?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, you'll have to burn at least 10 Benjamins at Apple's doorstep to get the Geniuses to consider doing anything.

aka, over $1000 for a repair.

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Any damage that is not due to a manufacturing fault is not covered by warranty. That means dropping, scratching and, yes, liquid damage, void the warranty.

6. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Liquid sensor alert! :eek::eek::eek:

If you take it to Apple they will kill your warrantee because the liquid sensors inside the machine are already turned red color. They will know to the last drop. There's nothing you can do other then buying a new Mac, get it repaired for almost the price of your Mac or force your idiotic friend to buy your Mac in order to get a new one.

[​IMG]

The new MacBook and MacBook Pro don't just want to impress you with their fancy new fabrication techniques, unibody designs and bolstered performance: they want to make you more honest, at least when it comes to reporting water damage. According to the service manuals, the new line of MacBooks include submersion sensors, designed to indicate if the laptops have been exposed to excessive levels of moisture and/or dropped in your toilet.

Phones, including Apple's own, have been fitted with these little stickers for years, but they're a rarity in laptops. You might want to think twice before you forget to mention the "used as a prop in an elaborate college drinking game" part on your next Applecare claim.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This will be the outcome:

1. It'll be on your record at Apple.

2. It'll be far more expensive than you think to fix, despite the fact that the only damage appears to have happened to the backlight itself rather than the part of the logic board that controls the backlight or sensor (it still works, after all).

3. You wouldn't get it fixed anyway. You can't afford it.

If you wanted to deal with an understanding company that will bill you appropriately for a repair, even an accidental damage, Dell would have been a better match for you. ;) Many years ago, someone came here and said Apple didn't fix his PowerBook because it may not be a manufacturing issue. The "Genius" said it may have been caused by mistreatment. When the guy asked him why he thought the machine was mistreated, they pointed to a scratch on the aluminium. That scratch apparently voided his warranty. :rolleyes: They're not always this anal, but they can be.

If you want to see someone about it, go to an Apple Reseller and tell them what happened. It may still end up on your record, but Apple Reseller service can be MUCH better than Apple's own service. Many resellers actually try to help you out.

Um, anyway.......Lenovo keyboards have spill-guards that provides a path for the liquid to travel down to holes at the bottom of the case, avoiding all electronic components. Food for thought, Apple. :eek:

8. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

9. o2xygen macrumors regular

I swear that apple design these machines to spill liquid on. Try your best to take it apart, and properly clean it. If you take it into apple you will be walking into a minefield, you will be forking out a ton of money for a logic board and all sorts.

10. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

I agree, I had an accident with mine but my accidental home insurance covered me and I now have a brand new UMBP.

I have purchased a clearguard, and I don't drink or eat around my machine at all. It is far too expensive to take for granted.

I would clean the parts as best as you can with distilled water (look on google for correct solution) and let it dry out.

You could take it into Apple, be honest with them and then see if they will take pity on you and fix it cheaper but to be honest it's normally over $1000 for spill damage.

I would ask your roomates or friends to part ways with some cash too depending on who was at fault here.

11. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

'Liquids Accident with Unibody' - sounds naughty :D:D:D

12. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Pervert.

13. jxel macrumors newbie

14. MacRumors Guy macrumors member

Last time my MBP ate sauce I paid €400. And it wasn't that much sauce.

15. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I was not in my room and somebody spilled beer on my desk. My cd drive now refuses to spit out disks because the felt is hardened and sticks. Have to shake them out.

Don't let idiots near your computer.

16. zorahk macrumors 6502

17. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

BUT, the sensor doesn't cover the whole keyboard?

18. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I have this funny little feeling that the sensors will pick up even a sneaky, little spill... it's a good CYA tactic by Apple. But, then again, it would be tough to honor a warranty on anything electronic that has possibly touched... ahem... wine.

As mentioned, I think they'd detect the moisture incursion, and void your warranty, so for all practical purposes, it's done. So... you might as well take it apart and see if you can clean the insides. Just be very meticulous, use the right tools, and don't hurry. I'd also hit up my 'friend' for some $$, since he caused the damage... seems only fair. Also, do you have any homeowners/renters insurance? Maybe a claim there might work, too.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you think the keyboard is the only issue, I would take it apart and clean it, then take it to an authorized technician and have him/her replace the keyboard. Unless of you course, you want to do this all yourself—instructions on iFixIt.

20. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I would grab the hard drive and back away from it slowly. Ask an EE major or something to try to clean it with some alcohol or contact cleaner or submerge it in that stuff that can clean electronics.

But yes, for all practical purposes, its done for. If you purchased Applecare for your machine, go ahead and get your money back as it is prorated. The components in the Unibody are extremely compact as you may well imagine. Apple WILL know something has happened regardless, but you may be able to salvage the machine itself if you have a qualified professional clean it up. Replacement parts and labor if you don't do it yourself will cost as much as a new machine.

Remember, especially in college, wear a keyboard condom. Yes they are ugly and dull the feeling, but it will keep your machine from coming into contact with drunk people fluids.

21. RelievedSimplet thread starter macrumors member

Well, just to update the situation, I took a closer look today since I had some free time. There may actually be nothing wrong with the backlight, the liquid may have just dried "goopy" over the backlights on the side. I was wondering how to get it apart so I appreciate the iFixIt information. Never knew of that site before and they have a great guide on disassembling it. Luckily I'm an EE major, still first year, so I can bring the motherboard to the guy who fixes the equipment for the school and he should be able to help with that. All in all I'm not so worried now that I have the instructions to disassemble. Thanks for the tidbits of information that have given me a bit more confidence in cleaning this... now just to find replacement spill detectors... :p

22. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

23. RelievedSimplet thread starter macrumors member

Haha, that's great. Confused how it'd happen though, but still great.

One more thing for all you UB MBP disassemblers. Anyone who can recommend a nice set of tools to use to disassemble this system? I thought the tools I had were nice, but apparently the metal used in my tools is weaker than the screws used by Apple because by the time I got to the third screw, my screwdriver was shredded and stripped and is now useless. Any input appreciated.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

25. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I would have that person that spilled the wine on the box buy you a first rate steak dinner and a lot of nice cocktails. Leave the MBP home though.