Liquipel Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ok so if you spend the money from Liquipel to treat your iPhone and then you have to swap it with Apple say for a repair or Applecare issue, do you have to get Liquipel to treat the new phone all over again?

Anyone know if this voids Apple's warranty? and has anyone here treated their iPhone with success?

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

3. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

HUH? The replacement phone WOULD NOT HAVE the liquipell on it, OF COURSE you would have to have it re-treated if you want to have protection.

Of course it voids the warranty. :rolleyes:

4. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

did you expect the liquidpel coating to just crawl their way out of the old phone and onto the new phone? what sorcery!

5. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

No, I did not know if they had some sort of program that would allow them to retreat your new phone either for no fee, or reduced pricing. I should have been clearer the way I stated it :(

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I a was actually going to post that this is likely what you meant, but decided not to presume. It's depressing that the state of so much "help" here is satirical and borderline insulting the poster's intelligence.

I've never used Liquipel. Is it something that you can clearly see is on the phone? Does it turn the moisture indicators red? If not, I don't see why or how it's going to void your warranty. In reality, it probably does (if you tell them you did that), but if they can't tell by looking at the phone, it likely won't matter.

----------

I found the following on their site. It looks like you have 30 days for them to add
    Liquipel to a new device if returned for a manufacturer defect. I see no mention of whether this voids your current warranty or not though. Truth be told their terms and conditions are sorely lacking in description.

Having read all this my honest recommendation is just get Apple care plus or an otter box, or both.

7. liquipel macrumors newbie

Response to Liquipel Question

Answer from Liquipel:

Yes, your second phone will need to be treated with our Liquipel 2.0 treatment. We sympathize with your situation and are prepared to offer your a discount on the treatment of your second device.

Please reference my note when you forward your phone for treatment. Please send a note to info@liquipel.com so we can make sure your receive your discount.

Thank you for your interest in Liquipel.

Have a great day.

Randy Smith
    Liquipel Marketing
    www.liquipel.com

8. Radiating macrumors 65816

Liquipel does NOT void your warranty in the US.

Under US law there are only 3 reasons a warranty can ever be voided:

1. If you cause the damage that you are seeking to have repaired (but if you cause damage to the product and want something unrelated repaired that is still fine). Note: manufacturer has to demonstrate with clear and absolute proof that your damage caused the defect you want repaired, they can't guess that it did and they can't assume that it did. This is why Apple was sued and had to pay millions for automatically voiding warranties on devices that tripped the water sensor, because they assumed any defect was a result of water damage, and did not prove anything.

2. If you modify the device in a way that makes it prohibitivly expensive to repair, such as gluing it shut.

3. Non standard use, ie if you use your phone to record video on a weather baloon you send into space, and it's damaged by cosmic rays that's not covered. This is rarely enforcable though as long as you keep your mouth shut.

The FTC has repeatedly clarified that you are allowed to modify your device and apply liquipel and rip off labels that say "warranty void if seal broken" and do whatever you want. So long as you aren't trying to get a manufacturer to fix something you broke, as modifications can count as damage.

The overwhelming majority of manufacturers proceed illegaly and do not follow the law, and void your warranty with their own internal policy. If they bring this up, simply point out it is againt the law.

Yes, I have sued manufacturers over unjustly voided warranties and won. Most manufacturers and most people have incorrect misconceptions about what is and is not legal in voiding warranty work.

Also it is not legal to void an entire warranty ever, each claim must be addressed and denied seperatley, so if they deny 1 claim you can make others. So if you break the screen ask it to be repaired, and they refuse, they can't refuse to fix deffective buttons which you did not damage.

Hope that helps.

9. macalec macrumors 6502

You will of course need to get the phone retreated. In addition, I am sure the warranty will be void by doing this.

10. Ryan Burgess macrumors 6502

Could you please provide your sources for this information? It sounds very interesting…and I want to see if its actually true

11. Radiating macrumors 65816

(b) Duties and conditions imposed on consumer by warrantor
    (1) In fulfilling the duties under subsection (a) of this section
    respecting a written warranty, the warrantor shall not impose any
    duty other than notification upon any consumer as a condition of
    securing remedy of any consumer product which malfunctions, is
    defective, or does not conform to the written warranty, unless the
    warrantor has demonstrated in a rulemaking proceeding, or can
    demonstrate in an administrative or judicial enforcement proceeding
    (including private enforcement), or in an informal dispute
    settlement proceeding, that such a duty is reasonable.

So to be clear, the government states that there are a set of specific conditions which a warranter can deny warranty work and a company cannot devicate from those circumstances without a judicial approval.

If anyone wants to void your warranty for applying liquipel they need to demonstrate to a government panel that having such a requirement is reasonable. Hint: Nobody has EVER received this exception in the history of the United States to void. In fact the FTC as I mentioned has repeatedly confirmed that non warranter service absolutly does not void your warranty.

Again the law specifically defines the exact cases where your warranty can be voided and under no circumstances can a company void it for any other reason whatsoever.

(c) Waiver of standards
    The performance of the duties under subsection (a) of this
    section shall not be required of the warrantor if he can show that
    the defect, malfunction, or failure of any warranted consumer
    product to conform with a written warranty, was caused by damage
    (not resulting from defect or malfunction) while in the possession
    of the consumer, or unreasonable use (including failure to provide
    reasonable and necessary maintenance).

Note that it says the warrantor must show the damage was done, ie no guesswork, and no BS.

There is also another section which describes that if you make undue difficulty in repairing the item it voids the warranty. So you cannot glue your product or item shut or weld it shut.

There is also another sections that says if a company violates any of these rules you can start a list of reasonable expenses in getting the issues resolved they have to replay you, ie lost time, wages, days off.

Hope that helps.

12. Ryan Burgess macrumors 6502

Wow. I had no idea! Good tips for future reference, thanks! I'll look into it more on my own.

13. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Thanks Randy, I do not currently own an IP5 with your LP treatment, I was thinking about it instead of using my Life Proof case, however the issue is if the phone has to be replaced I have to go thru the treatment process all over, and since it takes some time to treat and send back, I might get a secondary phone first before sending in my IP5 for LP.