Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Well, if you have a spade there's 2700 of them burred in Logan Utah :p

yeah, I heard about that... oh how I want one... I bet if I dug them up I could find various parts to make at least 1 complete unit...wonder if they were dumped in their boxes....hehe

if you want to buy on ebay, keep in mind you'll pay several thousand dollars for a perfectly functioning lisa1

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
The original Lisa ("Lisa 1") is very rare (most were updated to Lisa 2's) and extremely expensive. Indeed, they go for > $10,000 usually. However, the Lisa 2 can be had for under $1000.

A year and a half ago I found a person who refurbishes Lisas and he set me up with an exquisite Lisa 2. The total cost for everything was about $1,100. Have a look at my article about it with link to a photo gallery.

http://www.bytecellar.com/archives/000078.php

blakespot

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
What is this about 2,700 buried in Utah? I would be interested in the story behind that if anyone has the info or a news link.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
What is this about 2,700 buried in Utah? I would be interested in the story behind that if anyone has the info or a news link.

Summary:

The Lisa sucked compared to Macintosh. They had 2,700 they couldn't sell. Into the ground they went. The end.

sinigang99

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2007
Damn, I had one back in the day. I got mine one day at work (Apple) when one of the head techs came by and said "You guys want a Lisa? Better get to the truck before they throw them out".

See, there was a truck container behind the building on Bandley Drive that was used to store equipment and unused stuff.

I had one with the dual drives.

I had it for while then gave it to my brother. I contacted him about it and he said an Uncle threw it out when he was moving....damn....

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
The Lisa wasn't the only piece of oldschool technology that got buried in a landfill in the middle of nowhere...

blakespot

WOW that is insane.... wonder if they really dug some up...

I'm tempted to go dig a lisa up, wonder if it would still work

anyone else know of any other crazy stories about other flopped products getting burried?

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
thats freaking weird. cost too much to just put them in storage somewhere? strip them down for parts? anything but dig a whole and pitch them?

The Lisa/Mac XL was a terrible commercial failure. I don't blame them for wanting to bury the program, quite literally.

Technically, I think the Lisa was awesome. I wouldn't say it sucked, even compared to the Mac. Except for maybe the Lisa 1, which apparantly had temperamental floppy drives.

TheDance511

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
California soon
guess what...my grandpa has a lisa.... i donno if its the irst oen or not but i know its a lisa...and he had it sitting in his house under a blanket... and he said ican have it and it turns on :)

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
I still have one at my parents house somewhere. Last time I checked everything worked but the 3.5 floppy. But that was when there was still a Soviet Union!

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
Apple had to destroy them so they could 'write them off' for accounting purposes. If Apple had kept them in storage, they would have been considered stock. I'm not an Accountant so I can't give you the exact reason, but thats the principle behind destroying them.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Apple had to destroy them so they could 'write them off' for accounting purposes. If Apple had kept them in storage, they would have been considered stock. I'm not an Accountant so I can't give you the exact reason, but thats the principle behind destroying them.

yep, that sounds right... that is why many schools/governmnet organizations have to scrap their old computers instead of donating them,selling them, etc.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
You know, Apple would make a lot of money if they dug up the Lisa's and sold them to drooling collectors like us.

Think about it. It's genius. (Glad I thought of it. :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.