List: Great firefox add-ons for a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hmorris, Aug 14, 2008.

1. hmorris macrumors member

So here is a list of a bunch of great firefox addons along with a little description of each one. Feel free to make your own list or to just write your favorite. To download these addons go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ and search the addons name. ( BTW this list is in no particular order)

1.Adblock Plus : This is an ad-blocker that is very effiecient. Just right click on the ad ( control - click on Macs :) ) and click adblock this frame or adblock this image. You will never ever see that ad again!
    2. Better G-Mail 2 : this uses Greasemonkey scripts that will improve your G-Mail
    3. Better Youtube : This uses Greamonkey Scripts to improve Youtube. Included in the improvements is it makes a link under the video to download the video and an automatic go into full screen mode.
    4. Colorful Tabs: This simply gives each tab a different color, great for organizing.
    5.Download Status Bar: This creates a small bar on the bottom of Firefox that shows how long it will take for your download to complete. This is useful because now you won't have to open another window to view the download process and you can just keep browsing.
    6.Fierr: This addon gives your firefox error page a nicer look. Although this is a small detail it's nice for when you get an error page.
    7. Fission: For all you Safari lovers this is for you fission gives you a progress bar in your address bar exactly like in Safari!
    8. ForecastFox: This simply gives you your weather forecast in the bottom right of Firefox.
    9. Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer: This is great for bookmarks obsessed people and people who have multiple computers. This add-ons syncs your bookmarks between multiple computers.
    10. Gmail Space: This is an addon that basically turns your Gmail account into an online hard drive!
    11. Greasemonkey: Is basically a program that uses scripts to change websites. You can search "greasemonkey scripts" on google and find all the cool ones or make up your own.
    12. Splash: This add-on simply adds a loading screen or a splash screen to firefox. You can customize the loading screen by putting in a sound when you start Firefox or you can use a custom picture.
    13. Stealther : This add-on allows you to browse the internet without leaving any traces while keeping your old browsing history. Similar to Safari.
    14. Torbutton : This add-on enables you to browse the internet safely, what's great is that you can turn in on and off with the click of a mouse!
    15. URL Fixer : This add-on fixes common errors when typing address' in the address bar such as it will change google.con to google.com
    16. WebMail Notifier: This add-on will keep a little icon on the bottom right of Firefox and will notify when any one of your email address' gets an e-mail. You can use as many e-mails as you like.
    17. Yet Another Smooth Scrolling: For those Safari users who complain about the bad unsmooth Firefox scrolling this is for you. You can customize the speed and smoothness and many other options of your scrolling.
    Hope this helps.
    Comment on which ones should be added to the list and which ones should be taken away.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

3. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

My must have Firefox add-ons:
    • GrApple Delicious Theme - simply beautiful
    • TabMixPlus - manages tabs better than Firefox
    • Findbar Basics - improves the Find toolbar

4. hmorris thread starter macrumors member

which grapple delicious color do you use?

5. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

GrApple Delicious Graphite. Matches the Graphite colour scheme in Leopard. :cool:

6. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

Yahoo Mail Notifier: sits in the lower right corner of the browser and lets you know when you have new mail in your yahoo account.

7. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

8. Podgie macrumors newbie

Podgie

Don't forget PicLens. Great for when you are browsing flickr, youtube and much more.

9. GUILTIE macrumors regular

You can also undo tab deletions by pressing Command+Shift+T. I use it all the time and you don't need an extension to do it.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yes but I find this helpful:

Attached Files:

11. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i just nabbed that earlier tonight, and i really like it. thanks for the suggestion!

12. hmorris thread starter macrumors member

the webmail notifier does that for gmail yahoo and hotmail and other emails!

13. hmorris thread starter macrumors member

it does in one of the corners it says block click on it and u can block although I havw started to find that many flash ads don't have the block symbol thing. Have the ad companies figured out how to disable it? I think that AdBlock is in need of an update.

14. hmorris thread starter macrumors member

I don't really use flickr to often so I don't use PicLens but what does it do for youtube?

15. hmorris thread starter macrumors member

I just discovered one of the greatest add ons ever its called fireNES it is a built in NES emulator built into firefox search fireNES in google to download it. There is only one small problem though its in spanish but none of the games are so its all good :)