List of 64-bit and/or Multi-threaded applications?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sg.hill, Aug 22, 2008.

1. sg.hill macrumors member

Hello, all!

I've been a long-time reader on these forums, but thanks to the search feature I have not [had a great reason] to register until now. There is plenty of rambling on my reasoning for this, but I'm basically deciding whether or not to get a Mac Pro in the very near future.

One of the biggest questions I have is how much software is currently multi-threaded? I suppose the concern there is, if I spring for the 8-core, will I need to repurchase much of this software for a HUGE performance boost and to utilize the 8 cores outside of multitasking? It feels like the biggest bottleneck is software, currently.

A few of the things I have read:
    • Adobe CS4 will not be 64-bit (multi-threaded?)
    • Aperture is 32-bit; Lightroom is 64-bit
    • VMWare is multi-threaded; Parallels is not
    • iTunes is 64-bit

So, with your help I would like to compile a list of the available or coming-soon applications that are 64-bit as well as a multi-threaded list. I'm mainly interested in the Apple and Adobe applications, but am hoping to have an exhaustive list. Please list know what you know (and how you know it, if you feel like helping out!).

Thank you,
    sg.hill

2. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

No one bothered to contribute to this one? Perhaps we've already exhausted all of them!

Well heres mine:

I don't recall iTunes ever being 64bit?

3. Middling macrumors regular

With the release of Snow Leopard i think all of the included apps are 64 bit.

None of the iLife or iWork apps are 64 bit at the moment, but i suspect that they will get a patch shortly after the release of Snow Leopard to give them 64 bit. If not then i expect iLife/iWork '10 will be 64 bit compatible.

The exception to the above is iTunes which is written in Carbon so wont be able to be 64 bit on OS X (there's a 64 bit version for Windows) unless Apple rewrite it in Cocoa. I do expect them to do this eventually, and am kind of hoping that an iTunes X will appear shortly after the release of Snow Leopard.

I don't know about the Apple pro apps but it would seem logical to assume that they'll all get 64 bit within a year or so.

Very few third-party apps are currently 64 bit. VLC had a testing version for 1.0rc4 which ran fine in Snow Leopard builds. I don't know of any others

4. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Sure, the majority of apps in Snow Leopard will be 64bit, but what about right now? But yes as a video editor I'm definitely looking forward to 64bit Final Cut Studio!

Yeah I did try out the 64bit version of VLC but found it was just far too unstable.

On another note, the latest Handbrake snapshot has a 64bit build:
    http://handbrake.fr/?article=snapshot

5. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

6. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Mathematica is 64 bit and supports multi-threading.

7. bezerk3r86 macrumors member

If they release a patch for iLife/iWork 09, let's hope it COULD take advantage of GCD & OpenCL. It might be a good testbed to try it out before they rewrite it for the next versions. I'd love to see iLife running with OpenCL & GCD.

8. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Mine

Multithreaded:

BOINC Manager 6.10.56 (you can crunch 8 instances of Seti @ Home workunits on a iMac Corei7 or 8-core Mac Pro simultaneously).

Handbrake 0.9.4 x86_64

Logic Pro 8 v8.02 (and later)

Mplayer OS X Extended rev 13 with "Official Mplayer SVN with FFmpeg-MT" multithreaded decode

Geekbench

More later..