List of apps that PPC Macs can run?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Aug 4, 2013.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Does anyone know of a list of apps that a PPC Mac can run?

For example:

1. Which version of Creative Suite is compatible?
    2. Which version of Photoshop
    3. Which version of Aperture..etc

Basically, if anyone knows where I can find a list of the most "recent" versions of popular applications that are compatible with a PowerMac G5 quad it would be greatly appreciated!

2. Wildy macrumors 6502

Things become a little more complicate when you consider that several programs aren't officially supported on PPC but can be installed with a hack.

3. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Hi Wildy,

I have no doubt that that is the case, but I am looking for only those apps that can run natively on a PPC client without the need for hacks of any kind. This of course limits the list of apps to those that are most likely the more well-known apps, but it's still something that I would like to find.

If anything, I'll just start compiling my own list and then post it here later.

4. ResPublica macrumors regular

ResPublica

I"ll simply post the apps I have or have had on my Mac mini G4.

for Leopard:
    Safari 5.06
    iTunes 10.6.3
    Office 2008 (besides my version of preference, Office 2004)
    iLife '09 (with iPhoto 8)
    iWork '09 (but only up to 9.05 if I'm not mistaken)
    Quicktime 7.7
    Adobe Reader 9.4
    VLC (up-to-date)
    MacTubes (up-to-date)
    LibreOffice (up-to-date)
    Pacifist (up-to-date)
    Dropbox (up-to-date)

5. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

I'll add a bit more to this thread. For Final Cut Pro, the latest officially supported version is FCP 8, but FCP 9 can easily run on a PPC Mac, simply by changing a line of code or something in the installer which bypasses the system scan and allows FCP 9 to install. After that, everything works perfectly. I've got it running on my dual G5.
    Also, I *think* that the latest Adobe suite that is PPC compatible is CS3, except for Photoshop, which can go up to CS4.
    Most flash stuff requires version 10 (don't quote me on this) but the latest version for PPC is 9. Some helpful people recreated version 9 disguised as version 10. That also works perfectly on my machine.
    Also there is a way (sort of) to 'run' Mountain Lion on PPC machines by installing a very believable theme called Mountain Leopard - should be able to find it somewhere on the forums.
    Minecraft can go up to version 1.5.2 (with a small tweak), while the latest version is 1.6.2 (as of now) this is because PPC macs don't support Java 1.6, only 1.5.
    I'll do a bit of research and I might add another post with more info. Hope this was useful ;)

----------

For many PPC apps, you have to apply a small tweak to get it to run a newer version than what is officially stated. In this day and age - well - we kind of have to deal with it because very few 'big' programs support PPC, simply because they have no reason to do so. PPC is slow (there are a few exceptions), far too different than other processors, old, and very few people use it. Without a tweak or two, you'd be stuck in the early 2000's.

6. gooser macrumors 6502

instead of looking for the latest version that will run you may be better suited to run an even older version that will do what you want but won't be as taxing on the machine.

7. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

PowerPC isn't old or slow, there is still plenty of PowerPC or PowerPC-based processors being used and sold all over the world. PowerPC has also been merged into POWER, making any new POWER processors based on PowerPC.

Without a tweak or two you could still be using the latest software, many open and closed source programs still support PowerPC. There is also web apps that you can use.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

1. CS4
    2. CS4

But you have to use the individual installers. The CS4 installer won't let you install to PowerPC because there are some components of CS4 that are Intel only.

I have ID, Photoshop and Illy CS4 on my G5 and my PowerBook G4. I've used them for a few years, no problems.

9. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

By PowerPC I mean the PowerPC that we ACTUALLY use and the PowerPC that this sub forum is talking about. The Apple PowerPC. Sure, they might still use it in large servers, but I haven't even heard of a desktop PowerPC, and no apps we use support it. By 'many' you mean only a handful.

10. MrPilot macrumors 6502

no.

no.

11. kalel77 macrumors member

Photoshop elements 6 works great on PPC with Leopard

12. macca1980 macrumors member

I didn't realise that fcp9 would work . I have 7 as I thought that was the last working version.

13. MrPilot macrumors 6502

well karemaztecan or whatever his nick is, is confused in regards to version numbers... at least judging by his "flash version number" comment