List of differences between iPod Touch 4 and iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Starship77, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Starship77, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

Starship77 macrumors regular

Starship77

I compiled a list of the differences between the newest models of iPhone and iPod touch. I thought it could be of someone else's interest, so I'm posting it here.

Things that the iPhone 4 have that the iPod Touch doesn't:

GPS-A (improved from 3GS)
    5MP Camera
    Cell Phone
    3G HSDPA/HSUPA, EDGE
    LED Flash Light
    Larger Battery
    IPS-Display
    2x RAM (512MB)
    Bundled headphones have mic/volume ctrls
    Ear Speaker
    Proximity sensors
    Dual noise-canceling mic system
    Vibration
    mute switch
    Compass (3 axis)
    Stainless steel body frame
    Oleophobic screen coating
    *Always free software updates
    "Antennagate"

*updates are now free for all iOS devices.

Things that the iPod Touch have that the iPhone 4 don't:

Double maximum capacity (64GB)
    Thinner form factor.

These are all in the order I was remembering. Feel free to change it or add more things I may have forgotten... Thanks!

2. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Looks about right, but Apple did change their stance on non-free software updates for iPod Touch, and I'd be surprised if they went BACK on that decision and reverted to charging for those updates again. (iOS 4.x was free for all supported devices, including iPod Touch 2G and 3G.)

-- Nathan

3. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

4. felch macrumors member

5. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

I really so care about the RAM, why iPod Touch only own a 215M? When I open my iPod Touch, the RAM only shows about 100M:mad:

6. Starship77 thread starter macrumors regular

Starship77

Thanks! I corrected that ;)

7. brandonm928 macrumors newbie

8. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Soon will iPod touch 5G come out, so I hope they will cost more price like: 32gb 450$ but has 512 ram and 128gb and 5 or 8 mpx camera, I'm sure it will happen soon maybe not this year but next 5 years

9. aNYthing24 macrumors member

10. Starship77 thread starter macrumors regular

Starship77

Yeah, I just removed that part... Actually booth devices can shoot video at 24 and 30 fps depending on the light... If you have low light, they drop to 24fps. (Guess I tested the iPod in low light... hence the mistake...)

Good one!

11. ankh macrumors member

This list still current?

Some day I need to replace my Clie TH55, and I'm losing hope Palm OS will find a new hardware host.

I haven't found ebook reader software for the iPod yet that can do everything I want (including extremely dim nighttime and font color/size choices) -- let alone import any kind of file I can reduce to text no matter where it comes from (I use PorDiBle on the Mac daily, to change anything I can save as or convert to .txt into .pdb for the old Palm OS).

But I'm starting to suspect the iPod may be the way I'll have to go.

12. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

The 4th generation as well as the third (excluding the 8GB model which most already know was based on the older 3G iPhone hardware) have come with headsets with volume controls.

----------

Man do I miss the days of getting my inner geek on with my old Handspring Visor. I loved that thing since putting or keeping an address book on my phone of the time was very difficult.

13. Skika macrumors 68030

14. Holoshed macrumors regular

I got a 4th gen at best buy and it did not have volume controls, had to buy them separately. I thought it was odd but it was the 8gig one so maybe the 8 gig only gets older earphones with no mic.

15. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

You can call on the Touch as well. :cool:

16. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

You have one of those, too? I thought they were extinct. LOL my (little) cousin found my Clie on my dresser, she asked me what it was. She couldn't figure out how to work it.

17. AngelaElmer macrumors newbie

AngelaElmer

Great..

Hmmmmm.... Thanks for the mentioning a differences. It's is somewhat difficult to judge what to choose and what to not.

18. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

Just found this, months later, but it's a great compilation. Thanks for doing it. All I want in a new IPT 5G is everything the iPhone 4 has! :)

Dig your handle-- are you an amateur astronomer or a sci-fi fan? (I have an astronomy handle, too! James Bond in space, and I observe planets and galaxies regularly. :))

----------

Wanted to respond to this post, too!

I came to the iPod Touch from a SONY Clie TJ33, SJ 33, and Palm T3. Your best bet for an iPod ereader is by far, Lexcycle's Stanza. It's free and it'll do everything you mentioned and then some. Highly customizable, wonderful for reading. It easily replaced PalmFiction and TiBR Pro. The other very good one is eReader! Yes, the same eReader we all loved on the Palm. I use both apps regularly-- keeping one book going in each for easy switching.

eReader can read all your old .pdb eReader ebooks. Stanza has a brilliantly designed direct connection to Project Gutenberg where all the free ebooks are. You can download them directly to the ereader wirelessly and quickly. (Beats hot snyching and the cable/cradle any day.

There are several free or low cost apps to handle your .txt files.

Add in wonderfully smooth, fast browsing; newspaper and newsgroup apps that can stores gobs of stories offline for later reading (no more Avantgo synching, iSilo synching) (although iSilo is available for the IPT, it's no longer worth buying). (I did, but the wireless fetching of stories is so great across multiple apps, that's now outdated.)

Any other questions you have about making the transition, let me know. The one place where there is a big let down is in the handling of calendar alerts. There is NO snooze function on the i-devices and when you "unlock" the device to use it, the alerts vanish. A very poor system. Palm was a decade or two ahead of Apple in that regard. But one lives with it.

19. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

It would be quite and update to the 5G, as long as ipod touch 5g get iphone 4s camera and 512 MB RAM, it will be a great device :D

20. Starship77 thread starter macrumors regular

Starship77

Thanks! :)

I happen to love astronomy and I am an Sci-Fi fan! But that's not the reason for my handle. It was indirectly inspired by the band Jefferson Starship through Joey Ramone. :D Go figure! hehehe

PS: I wish I could see galaxies at night but, unfortunately, I do not own a telescope capable of that... One day, one day... :rolleyes:

21. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

Ah, yes! The good old Jefferson Starship, rising like the Phoenix from the ashes of the Jefferson Airplane!

There are some decent, $200-300 telescopes (6-8") that can show you some galaxies, especially under darker skies. (Orion Telescopes has great info on buying scopes and a good selection.) They're also great for bright star clusters, nebula, and the planets. Saturn's rings are just incredible through a scope.

I have a 7" scope and, even though I live in a small city suburb with semi-light polluted skies, I can observe galaxies that are 20-40 million light years right from my backyard!

There's lots of things to see with the naked eye, too. If you've never watched the International Space Station go across the sky, you're in for a real treat.

After Hurricane Irene went through--and cleaned out the skies here of all the usual debris--I saw the Andromeda Galaxy with the unaided eye for the first time! Amazing!

And, to keep this on topic, there are incredible astronomy apps for the iPod Touch for free or little cost (sky charts, NASA, astronomy picture of the day APOD, Moon map and phases, 3D Sun shows the Sun in different wavelengths with all its activity, Planets where they are, satellite tracking, Exoplanets showing all the latest discoveries of planets around other stars, etc.)

As to the space station, you can browse to heavens-above.com to find out when the ISS will cross the skies in your location-- or use Sputnik! or ISS Visibility on the i-devices.

Keep looking up!

----------

You're right, of course. We don't need all of the iPhone 4 upgrades, just so those two! Well, and one more--a decent speaker! My 2G is pretty tinny and soft.

22. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Thx for the list. One important advantage that ipod touch has over iphone: no monthly bill ;)

23. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Thank you Captain Obvious.

24. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

The iPhone:
    -can be in white
    -has bumpers
    -Monthly bills
    -can tether things to it

iPod Touch:
    -can be take places that cellphone are not allowed (schools)
    -lighter
    -cheaper (sorta)

25. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

:):)

Except that I agree with him or her 100%.

It may be obvious, but it gets overlooked in the comparisons. I forget it sometimes, too. In other words, maybe I should have bought an IPT 4G to replace my 2G, simply because it had a camera. But the camera was so poor compared to the iPhone's, and didn't seem that much better than my cheap GoPhone that I passed. OTOH, when one takes into account the "obvious", the equation changes.