List of iPad Specific Changes with iOS

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dingclancy23, Jun 14, 2016.

1. dingclancy23 macrumors regular

dingclancy23

It would be great if we do some hunting of the little tweaks that iOS 10 have for the iPad. I will start. Let us also include non-iPad specific features but will actually work better for Ipad users.

2. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I don't understand "unlimited Safari tabs". Is there a hard limit on tabs built into the OS? Can't you have as many tabs as the device has the resources to support?

3. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

There's now SplitView/SlideOver for the Music App

4. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

Anyone know about side-by-side for settings?

5. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

No, there's no SplitView/SlideOver for Settings

6. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

What other apps support Split View now, other than Music? How about the App Store?

7. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

The weather widget is no longer present in Notification Center.

8. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I think since the Music app was redesigned that helped in supporting SplitView.

AppStore hasn't been redesigned nor does it support SplitView and no additional apps other than the Music app.

I'm really disappointed with how Notifications are done. Completely ruined it, so much empty space.

IMG_0466.PNG

9. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

10. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

This is an interesting thread seeing that only Beta users can find the new improvements

11. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Yes, this should be in the iOS 10 beta thread.

12. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Still the no changes to the springboard. Tim Cook needs to institute mandatory eye exams to all iOS engineers as a large majority of them are obviously blind since they don't see the absurdity of stretching iPhone launcher to 12.9 inches.

13. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

For whatever reason, iPad's are still second fiddle to Apple. I wish it wasn't the case.

14. stevemiller macrumors 65816

amazed they didn't try to evolve split screen at all. anyway, i can life with indifference as long as they refrain from making things perform objectively worse... they never do that right...?

15. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Well, the iPhone is there bread in butter... There's no denying that when Apple is pulling so much revenue from the iPhone.

The iPhone was derived from the iPad, but the iPhone is practically the driving force for the iPad. As in they test features for the iPhone and don't care to put much thought how it would transition onto the iPad.

It's no point in adding the Pro name if they don't care to put more thought into the OS.

16. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

What do you mean by "springboard"?

17. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

If you remember the iOS 7 beta (which was a huge visual overhaul) then you remember that iOS b1 and iOS GM/final release are two vastly different animals. I think we'll see a lot of housekeeping in regard to the bigger notification bubbles, odd font choices/sizes, widgets, etc...

18. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Yup exactly. They used the crazy ultralight weight of helv neue. And famously, the "slide to unlock" lacked a direction arrow when 7 was first unveiled.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's the geeky name for Home screen. I believe that is what it's called in programming parlance.

20. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

I've been looking all over the internet for anyone who has tested the feature "Rest & Type iPad keyboard" in iOS10. Anyone know what that even means?

21. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

For the same reason tablets are second fiddle to smartphones for Samsung, and other companies that make both. Guess with type of device sells more. Smartphones are almost becoming a necessity in today's society, while tablets are still a luxury for most people. I spend more time on my iPad everyday than on my iPhone, but if I had to give up one of them, my phone serves the more essential functions. I think this is true for most people, so I expect that optimizing mobile OSs for phones will always take priority over tablets.

But as someone who used a Nexus 7 as my main tablet for a couple of years, let me tell you that iPad users get way more tablet optimized apps than Android tablet users. Most Android tablet apps are clearly phone apps that have been scaled up to fit a larger screen. There's always a catch. I think that Android is the better OS for tablets because it offers more PC-like freedom and functionality, but iOS offers better tablet versions of apps.

22. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Have to agree. That was the whole problem with notifications in iOS 6. Apple kinda fixed it with iOS 7 (well, at least they made it look better), and now they are going back to the same old problem again?

23. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

That was needed to raise the price by 100 dollars ;-)

24. spesifikbrush macrumors regular

spesifikbrush

Storage added that price imo

25. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

Uhmm...storage was well overdue at that price range. It's much, much, much cheaper now than it was in 2010. That aside, for 600 dollars you could buy a 64 gb Air2. More than one year and half later you can buy a 32gb "pro" for the same amount of money. In europe it starts from 700 euro for a 32. And then from there you go to 870 for the 128gb (wifi only)