List of iPod Touch problems so far

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by SirithX, Oct 3, 2007.

1. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

I have no idea if it's the new firmware or not, but I've noticed that I have a lot of problems on the Touch I never ran into before the update or on any other iPods I've owned. Here's a list of what I have encountered so far, feel free to add your own.

1. Songs not playing (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=364122, and http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=363464)
    2. Smart Playlists not working, seems like the iPod does not sync up the play counts from iTunes (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=363398)
    3. Songs finish playing then repeat the same song (without actually playing the song) instead of going to the next song
    4. Cover art not displaying (could be that it just takes a while to load, but sometimes it'll just never load anything at all, no matter how long I wait)
    5. While browsing in coverflow, after a certain point the screen will black out and take me back to the home screen. I've replicated this, so it must be some sort of problem with a certain cover art, or maybe the files are too big, or it's just loaded too much or something.
    6. Wi-fi not being able to connect to access points. In the same place where I know there's a good signal, it just won't connect at all, and I'll have to turn the iPod off completely, then power it back up and try again and it will work flawlessly like usual. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=362136)
    7. Music stops playing randomly while browsing Safari at the same time

Note that I'm not complaining, well I sorta am, but the point of this isn't to say "the iPod Touch sucks", it's more of a wishlist of bugs I hope they iron out in the next firmware update. Luckily it's mostly minor stuff, but there shouldn't be any problems with music working and the playlist problem is really annoying.

2. supermeerkat macrumors newbie

I've been getting that as well. It seems to occur more frequently when double tapping (zooming) in on an image located in the middle of the viewed page.

3. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

It's not jsut me then. I'm actually in the process of restoring my iPod because of that, as it happeded every 2 minutes or so.
    Then when restoring it failed and I got "this iPod is in recovery mode and must be restored" I love it, but it's giving me a few problems! I'm thinking of caling apple...

4. davertron macrumors newbie

Another Annoying Issue...

This might be user error but I don't see anything on this anywhere else so I thought I would post and find out for sure.

I have a bit of a commute in the morning so I listen to a lot of podcasts/audiobooks on my drive in. On my old iPod Photo the podcasts would always play where they left off if I stopped listening to a podcast/audiobook in the middle, however on my iPod Touch it seems like they always start over at the beginning. This is particularly annoying with audiobooks because it's pretty difficult to find where I left off. Is there something I'm doing wrong here or is this a bug? Has anyone else had this issue?

5. sxc macrumors member

I'm getting really frustrated by the music stopping/crashing while using safari. It better get fixed in the next firmware update.

I'm also annoyed that it seems harder to get back to the music point you were at. What I mean is that on the old iPod as you click through the menu, you would be taken by default to what is currently playing so you could see that you were playing by artist for example. Now you can jump to now playing but you can't see what logic the playback is. And it annoys me that switching off the iPod completely loses the place you were playing.

6. SirithX thread starter macrumors 6502

SirithX

Hmm, you only put your Touch to sleep right? As long as I pause what I'm listening to and browse my other music, or go to the home screen, I can put it to sleep and then come back later and it will play where I left off.

7. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

If you turn it off completely it dosent leave anything running (because its shutdown) but leave it sleeping the Music app is still running in the background so it remembers where you are. Think of it like a computer, because thats what it really is.

8. davertron macrumors newbie

First off I should clarify that I'm not shutting down the iPod in-between plays. Let me explain the scenario I guess and then you can tell me if it's something I'm doing.

I start listening to a podcast on my drive in to work in the morning. I listen to maybe half of the podcast and then arrive at work, so I pause the podcast, turn off the vehicle, unplug the ipod and go inside. During the course of the day I listen to other music while I work. At the end of the day I climb back into my car, plug the iPod back in, and then start up the podcast, and it starts from the beginning.

Now, I'm guessing the issue is that it's not bookmarking where I left off listening to the podcast, but it does do this with videos (in the settings there's a "play where i left off" feature). Is it starting the podcast over becuase I've listened to other stuff in-between? I thought that on my iPod Photo I could listen to half of a podcast, go listen to some music, and then come back to the podcast and it would continue to play where I left off but I could be wrong.

If this is in fact not a bug and this is just the way it works, how the hell are audiobooks supposed to work? I'm supposed to only listen to a book until I've listened to the whole thing? I can't listen to anything in-between? I find that hard to believe, but the same problem I have with podcasts I have with audiobooks.

9. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

have discovered a little problem and its with the Time. Its displayed and won't changed from 24h to 12. In the Date & Time adjustment menu, 24-Hour Time is turned off, and the time displayed on the top bar remains in 24 hours.
    The weird thing is, in the Set Date & Time menu the dials to spin to change the time show the 12hour clock with AM and PM... however on the same screen, the Dark Blue Highlighted area and the menu bar still show 24hours. If you set the time to 6:00am, its displayed at 06:00... but if you set it to 6:00pm, it become 18:00.

I can't seem to get it to display properly?
    I've tried changing Time Zone, and adding/ changing world clock, but still nothing.
    How can I fix this? Is this a known bug?

10. jepaz macrumors regular

Just tested with my iPod touch and it works perfectly fine. Why don't you reset your touch (General > Settings > Reset > Reset All Settings)

11. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Tried that! - Would You (or anyone) mind checking what happened, when following the directions below about International Settings.

THANKS

I think I have found the problem...

I'm in the UK, so for the General > International > Region Format > Says: United Kingdom... but if I change it to United States. The time appears in 12hours with AM and PM. (Also the 24-Hour Clock ON/OFF works).

Why doesn't this work for UK? We don't all tell/use 24 hour clock!

Leaving it at the United States changes the format for telephone numbers, date ect...ect..

Just found out that this is also the same on the Mac... HOW has this been overlooked? :mad:

Anyone know how or where I can bring this to Apple's attention?

12. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

haha as i was typing this the music stopped.

Doyou guys have problems with the music stopping on other times aside from within safari...like when walking or something?

And here is. Weeeird problem, do you guys have problems charging the touch with a wall charger? For some reason it won't charge but it will while on a computer?.... I tested the charger with another iPod video and it worked perfectly weird right?

Anyone else having these issues? I can't tell if its my iPod or just the touch in general...

13. jepaz macrumors regular

There's definitely a bug there about the 24-Hour Time settings if using UK regional format.

14. sewerhobo macrumors newbie

There's another bug that occurs when browsing music on the iPod touch. If you have albums with the same titles (i.e. "Greatest Hits," which I apparently have a lot of) the iPod does not separate these albums in the album view (NOT Coverflow). It completely disregards the artist.

The same bug is also apparent when tapping on the album/track information button in the upper right corner of the now playing screen. All tracks from albums with the same name are displayed in this list, regardless of artist.

Anyone else notice this?

15. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I am so glad to know that others have the issue of the music pausing during safari. It annoys me so much so now I don't bother listening to music whilst using safari. I will when they release an update though.

Ps. This keyboard is awesome!!!!!

16. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Audiobook Problem

Hey,

I downloaded a cheap Audiobook, so see what it was like "The Woman In Black - Classic Ghost Story".

Anyway I noticed that if you listen to it, and put the Touch into Coverflow it appears (that's fine), but if you select an Album (ie. Single) with 1 song on it, the cover art for that album spins but displays all the chapters in the audiobook that you're listening to. It happens on all albums with 1 song, any more than that it displays what is actually on that album.

I don't know if its just that one I download, as i don't have others to test it on.

17. Hobbit6003 macrumors member

I dunno if this can be counted as iPod Touch problem, but it doesn't activate iTune on my MBP whenever I connect it. I've got to manually open up iTunes, even though I've set the Touch to open iTunes whenever I connect.

18. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

In the 3 units I've had I haven't been experiencing any of those...all 3 of them have at least 1 stuck pixel though. Number 3 is going back tomorrow. Hopefully #4 will be better. It's kinda sad that Future Shop got six iPods to begin with and most of them are defective. Who knows how many it will take to get one with a decent screen.

19. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

--iPod screen flickers (and can fade to white forever) when putting iPod to sleep while watching a movie. (and then turning it back on)

20. i0Nic macrumors 65816

IMO the 3 biggest problems with the ipod function:

1. Compilation artists show up in 'Artists' view mode. They should be hidden like in previous ipods, noone wants to see a whole bunch of random artists cluttering up their Artist view.

2. Smart playlists are broken. This is a dealbreaker for anyone who uses smart playlists extensively.

3. Albums with the same name get lumped as the same album in Cover Flow. Obvious bug which surely needs to be fixed pretty soon, most obviously affects 'Greatest Hits' albums.

21. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Also, I set an alarm and a tone to be played, but there was never any sound heard when the alarm was activated. Not sure what's going on there.

22. mrzippy macrumors 6502

Audiobooks not remembering last played location

Does this for me too with audiobooks, they always seems to start at last synced place from iTunes on my Mac. Really annoying!

23. cuanurse macrumors regular

clock/timer

I set my ipod timer and listen to my ipod as I fall asleep every night. On the old ipods, once the timer was set there was a small clock with the amount of time left. This is not on the touch. You must go back into the clock to see how much time you have left.
    Once you go back into timer you have to reset it. The time continues to count down but whatever you set it to do must be reset. For example.. I use "sleep ipod" frequently. When I go back into timer I still see the time counting down but now it is back to "time passing" and I must reset the timer to sleep the ipod.

Just a small nuisance but something that the old ipod had covered.

24. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Where do I start

1) It dosent come with a charger
    2) The battery life sucks
    3) The WiFi sucks

These are the only major problems, there a few other things but they are nothing a few software updates cant fix.
    BUT...

1) When I buy a £200 smartmediaplayer (we have smartphones so why not smartmediaplayers, after all, thats what it is :D) I expect it to come with a charger! And not have to pay £20 extra for one!
    2) For something that dosent come with a charger, you would think the battery life would at least be decent right? Wrong.
    3) Why is it my 802.11b PSP can pick up more networks than my 802.11g iPod Touch? Its also got better range! (The PSP) WTF? Also, theres this network I use all the time, a public hotspot, that hardly ever comes up on the iPT and when it does the connection is very weak, but on the PSP it works every time!

25. markshaf macrumors newbie

and another one

my touch and at least one other user here have an issue where the screen becomes non-responsive and then apps start behaving randomly as if being controlled remotely, e.g. you're watching a movie and suddenly the volume controls appear and the volume starts changing madly - up to full then down to low, then up to 60%, etc. Also if on home page, settings can open and settings start to be changed.