Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

countermoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
I've been using Apple computers since 1980. The Mac has never been a game machine, and I've never been much of a gamer. But here's a list of the games that work on my iMac. I bought all of them cheap from Steam.

My system:
imac 21.5" mid 2011
2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7
32 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HAD 6770m 512 MB
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

American Truck Simulator
Anchorhead
Burly Men at Sea
Car Mechanic Simulator 15
Cook, Serve, Delicious
Depression Quest
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Farming Simulator 15
Firewatch
GRID Autosport
Orwell
Over the Alps
Papers, Please
Rainswept
The Stanley Parable
This is the Police
This is the Police 2
This War of Mine
Transport Fever
Tropico 4

Note: SimCity 4 Deluxe will work, but it requires some effort and tweaking, and it will occasionally crash. See the site Simtropolis. They have a section for Mac users.

Reactions: tranceking26

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Are you looking for more games?

There are a bunch of other games that you could play on your iMac not on your list.

countermoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
I haven't played all the games on that list. Only some of them. I know that they work. Right now involved in This War of Mine.

countermoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
I really enjoyed GRID. That opened a new world to me. I was one of those kids who played with Matchbox cars. I had no idea how deep some people get into computer racing. I watched some videos. Wow. Thousands of dollars into seats, screens, pedals, steering wheels. Then the online stuff. Serious stuff. It's dedication, I guess. I wouldn't go that far, but many racing games, many of the better ones, won't work on my Mac or any Mac.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I've been using Apple computers since 1980. The Mac has never been a game machine, and I've never been much of a gamer.
Surprised someone using a Mac for so long isn't more aware of the gaming capability of the Mac. I've been using Macs for 20 years, I occasionally cross paths with a non-Mac user that tells me, "you can't game on a Mac", I have to laugh and thank them for telling me I can't do what I've been doing for 20 years. LOL. These are just some of the popular PC titles I've played that were ported to Mac OS over the years:

Tom Clancy Ghost Recon
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Age of Mythology
Age of Empires 3 (one of my all time favs)
Call of Duty 2 thru MW3 and Black Ops
Portal Series
Starcraft II
Bioshock
Battlefield 1942 & 2042
Star Wars Force Unleashed
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Assassin Creed II & Brotherhood
Batman Arkham City
Total War
Borderlands 2 & Prequel
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Metro 2033 Redux
Wargame franchise
Mincecraft
Battletech

Currently playing:
Borderlands 3
Arma 3
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Kerbal Space Program

You can argue the sophistication of some these titles but most on this list were/are top-tier PC titles at the time of release. Of course there's a slew of second and lower-tier games I've played over the years. With the transition to Apple silicon I fear there will be less top-tier PC titles released for macOS as Apple fences the Mac into the App Store-only world of iPhone and iPad software. But hopefully I'm wrong :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.