List of Mavericks Optimized Apps

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Shawzborne, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

Hi Guys,

Im not sure if this has been done already. But it would be great if we can make a list (with direct links) of Mavericks Optimized mac applications. This can include beta versions Please and thank-you!

-Steam

Please feel free to contribute it would be awesome!

Thank-you,

Shawn

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

TextEdit

3. Shawzborne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

non-apple products lmao

4. chrf097, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013

chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

EDIT: Very very few do.

There may be some compatibility updates that let apps run on the betas, but they aren't optimized. You won't see any optimized apps until, well when Mavericks is released.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Parallels v9 is the only one I've seen so far.

6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Most apps run just fine under Mavericks without any updates and most support App Nap.

7. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

They run, but that doesn't mean they're Mavericks optimized.

Google Chrome runs just fine on Mavericks, but it's not Mavericks optimized.

As far as App Nap goes, that's system based, not App based. Apps don't have to be updated to support "App Nap", similar to how apps didn't have to be updated to support notifications on iOS 5, because it's a system feature.

8. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yes, you too can have an optimized upgrade for the low cost of $50 which will fix all the problems our previous version never fixed.

Greedy, hand-wringing bastards. :(

9. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

What makes an app Mavericks optimized?

Parallels 8 supports Mavericks. Well so far. And it no longer supports USB on Windows as of DP6. But then, Mavericks doesn't support Airplay as of DP6.

10. Humex macrumors 6502

• TotalFinder Beta
    • Bartender Beta
    • Transmission
    • LittleSnitch Beta
    • Airmail Beta

11. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Being updated to fully be 100% compatible with Mavericks. Not every app shows the signs, but they may not run as efficiently as it would on an OS it's written for. Sometimes it's shoved in your face with broken apps, but sometimes it's just something that could make them more prone to crashing, or errors, or visual bugs, etc.

----------

Skype and Transmission don't have Mac OS 10.9 optimization.

12. Humex macrumors 6502

Transmission is very well optimized for OS X. He had fixed a problem with the buttons. I do not see what it can do more.
    It may be that Skype provides better support for OS X Mavericks in the fall. But the latest version is working properly.

• PopClip
    • iStats Menu

13. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Skype working properly ≠ Optimized

14. Humex macrumors 6502

What is your definition of "optimized" for OS X 10.9 !!:)

15. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The program has been fully updated for Mavericks.

Skype has not been fully updated for official Mavericks support. Just because it runs doesn't mean it's officially supported.

Because Skype is not officially supported, there could be bugs that only occur on Mavericks, or the app could be more prone to crashing, or there's a minor glitch. When it becomes updated to officially support Mavericks then it will be 10.9 Optimized.

16. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

My experience that Mavericks was remarkably good at breaking older apps compared to other OS X versions.

17. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Pretty sure Trim Enabler 3 is.

Also fairly certain Transmission is NOT because it looks like it leaks memory on DP6.

XtraFinder 0.17.2 works on Mavericks but not fully.

I don't think much will be "Optimized for Mavericks" until after it's been out for a while.

Have you ever seen it actually use app nap though? I can't get it to use App Nap no matter what and besides that Steam is one of the worst OSX apps I've ever used. Even though it does work on Mavericks I wouldn't really call it optimized for Mavericks.

18. Humex macrumors 6502

19. printz macrumors regular

Crap, applications need again to be voluntarily updated by the developers to conform to OS X 10.9? I hate this and I know how slow it's going, based on OS X Lion/Mountain Lion impressions. I wish Apple would code these things to happen automatically, not demand time out of developers.

20. Humex macrumors 6502

The Steam app is not optimized at all, it still bears the Carbon code if I'm not mistaken. UI is even more disgusting (it pait designers without being nasty).
    With the whole ecosystem, it would have been able to lay a optimized for OS X native, 64-bit Cocoa application language?, Compliance and updating the UI, integration of full screen, gestures. In short, we can dream ... Origin is in the same case (interface disgusting and not at all optimized).
    Small publishers are much better in this regard that Valve or EA.

21. Shawzborne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

22. Humex macrumors 6502

23. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Steam uses a cross-platform UI kit which is why it looks terrible and suffers from interface problems that have been there since 1.0--tooltip bugs, no OS X-style scrolling, traffic light buttons don't match system color, windows-style file browser, etc. Unfortunately I think valve believes keeping it this way makes it easier to support and release updates for it across three platforms, so I don't see it changing.

24. frex macrumors newbie

Hyper Switch
    Dropzone
    Better Touch Tool
    Quicksilver (not sure if it does update for 10.9 bu it works really well)

25. Humex macrumors 6502