List of MBP Problems, Only 6 Months Old

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WalkingSnake, Mar 9, 2012.

1. WalkingSnake, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

WalkingSnake macrumors member

I've only had this 13" Macbook Pro since October, yet the problems keep stacking up. Problem is I work with it every day and I'm concerned about not having it for a while. Regardless, anyone else had any of these?

-iSight doesn't work 90% of the time - seems to be a short, if I tilt the screen back all the way, sometimes the camera light will come on for no reason. When I open photo booth (or any video program,) it can't connect to camera.

-Touchpad screws up from time to time. It'll register random clicks and jerky movements on its own - I had this problem on an old laptop that had water on it, except this has not had anything spilled on it nor even come close to water. I can't find any rhyme or reason when it'll start and stop doing this, but it makes the Macbook practically unusable.

-Sometimes no audio will play until I plug in headphones and then unplug them.

-Occasionally when starting up from a dead battery, it'll freeze and beep 3 times. I restart and everything's fine.

I bought this system new, not used or refurb. Current generation. Makes me wonder how many more problems have to add up before AppleCare will just replace my entire system.

Any thoughts?

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yes. How much longer into your warranty are you going to wait before letting Apple in on these issues?

3. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Have you taken it to Apple before? If not, you're still under warranty so get it checked out. These aren't normal occurrences and warrant action by Apple.

They'll most likely to repair it rather than give you a new one. However, if they can't figure out how to fix it, or if you have taken it to them multiple times for major problems, they'll give you a new one.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Your post reads like you have yet to give Apple a chance to even address these issues, so I would say chances of a replacement are not good. Sounds to me like you want a new one when the ivy bridges are released and just making a laundry list and waiting to build the case.

5. WalkingSnake thread starter macrumors member

Oh I plan to take it to Apple within the next week. Nearest Apple authorized repair place is a 45 minute drive from where I'm at, and I work daily on my MBP for my job, so it's made it a bit tough.

Just posting to see if anyone had any similar problems in the past.

EDIT: No, not trying to con them into giving me a better system.

I'm simply asking if anybody has ever gotten a new unit with this many problems? Should I expect to be without it for some time?

6. shootist macrumors regular

No I haven't had any of these problems. If I did the first thing I'd do is take it to Apple. Then maybe post about it when it was fixed or and certainly if they didn't fix it.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yes, unfortunately there are a few very rare cases where people have multiple problems with their macbooks, and where multiple repair attempts fail.

What did you work on before you bought the 13'' MBP? It is unlikely that they will be able to fix your problems right away, it might stay with Apple for a week or so. You can also ship it to Apple directly I think.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

The only one of your issues that isn't an issue is...

'-Occasionally when starting up from a dead battery, it'll freeze and beep 3 times. I restart and everything's fine.'

This is normal the Mbp use a combination of battery and power at times. If your battery isn't charged the ac adapter dosnt suppu enough power.

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I know that it is difficult to be without a computer for an extended period of time but you need to act before the warranty ends. I would call AppleCare and tell them about your issues and they will send a box that can be used to ship to the Repair Center. My experience was a 2-3 day turnaround, I am confident that your's will be similar. The secret is to get it in asap so that you have sufficient warranty left in case the problems are not resolved. Would you rather live with the problems or be without it for a few days and have it work properly?