List of Preferences Folders to Back up before clean install?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mox123, Jul 2, 2011.

1. mox123 macrumors 6502

i'm going to do a clean-install of Lion. Are there a few centralized locations for application preferences and user data (Microsoft office, Mail, Keychain access, etc.) that I can backup first, so i don't lose all my passwords, etc. after i clean-install Lion?

If someone would provide a list of such folders, it'd be tremendously useful and appreciated!!

2. mox123 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

Just use time machine, install the SO and then use the migration tool.

And if you are not using time machine…do it, you are risking too much by not using it, external HD are cheap, no need to buy a time capsule.

4. mox123 thread starter macrumors 6502

but wouldn't that invalidate the whole point of doing a clean-install if i use time machine?? :confused::confused:

5. Jaden10 macrumors member

Jaden10

You don't have to restore everything from time machine. Back up your Mac with Time Machine then do a clean install. Then, if you need any files (preference folders perhaps?) from your old install, you can get them through Time Machine.

6. mox123 thread starter macrumors 6502

ahh gotcha. So where are these preference folders located for general apps and such? are there any centralized locations in OSX?

7. Jaden10 macrumors member

Jaden10

Preferences for apps are usually stored in your user account's Library folder.

8. Anthony La macrumors newbie

A tip: some apps like Adium store data in Application Support, so you might want to look at that too. You might want to backup your Keychain as well. These are stored in your home folder's Library as well.

Another thing: if you want to pop them back in those folders once Lion is installed, keep in mind that your home folder's Library will be invisible. You'll be able to access it again by opening the Finder's "Go" menu, holding the Option key down, and selecting "Library" from there.

9. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

I dragged my Library over to the Finder sidebar. I pleasantly surprised that it stayed there.

10. mox123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all so much for your kind help and suggestions! I can't wait to install Lion now :D:D