Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Hey, let's all consider the fact that if you're in a place where you want to put your phone on vibrate that maybe you shouldn't be answering calls at that time?!

TenaciousPZ

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007
Vibrate mode isn't all that great. It's more annoying than an actual ringtone at times. Better off not having it.

Are you kidding? The vibrate and speed dial are the two most used functions on my phone. This is two things the iPhone will not have.

Speed Dial on my POS Samsung phone - lets me call whoever I want without even looking at my phone, just by pressing a key.

Vibrate - Allows me to receive calls at work without annoying my coworkers.

Vibrate is the most used function on ANY cell phone.... at least any cellphone used by someone with an ounce of common courtesy.

Business meeting? Work?

How about out in public ANYWHERE or with ANYONE at all? Ringtones are the single most annoying and ridiculous thing that has ever become "socially acceptable" and regardless are nothing but rude. The latest cell phone I purchased carried every existing option for buying / downloading
ringtones and its a complete joke as I would never use it. I turn the volume up on the phone occasionally if i need to set an alarm to wake up me. Thats it.

There is nothing more annoying than being in a public place when someones phone goes of playing whatever ridiculous midi file it came with or worse, a 16 kbps song clip downloaded to the phone of new song that sounds great (sarcasm) played through the 5 mm driver.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
You could reverse-engineer it, but personally, what's the point? Let Microsoft deal with it. For all we know, there's been a deal made with Microsoft that the Mac dev team is going to make a document reader for the iPhone. We don't know anything about the iPhone yet.

TextEdit already does a half-assed job of opening Word documents- the content is there but formatting is wonky.

On other smartphones there are plenty of 3rd-party apps to view and edit Word/ Excel files.

It's not a matter of having Microsoft 'deal' with it. People get emails with Word and Excel files, and they want to at least read the documents. And this is Apple's product, not Microsoft. This is a basic feature on all other such phones. It's not a difficult feature to add. It will take some time though, either Apple develops it themselves, or licenses the tech from another company.

I personally don't care that much about it, but it seems like something that should be included. Maybe they can't do it at release, but in the upcoming months (before June) they might be able to announce that Word/Excel viewing will be added later.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Vibrate is the most used function on ANY cell phone.... at least any cellphone used by someone with an ounce of common courtesy...

I'll add another reason to your list -- about half of my day is spent in a manufacturing facility around dozens of machines humming and beeping constantly. Even if I turn my ring volume all the way to maximum, I still can't always hear it. I need to use vibrate mode or else I won't notice any incoming SMS messages from my coworkers.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Funny, you're still trying to compare the iPhone to a smartphone. It's not really a smartphone. Some, but not all, smartphones can open Word documents, but it's not necessary. In fact, it's totally pointless. I don't want to be reading a Word document on the screen of the iPhone. Also, it's not up to Apple to have that feature by it's own accord. Microsoft has to step forward and develop that software for the iPhone.

Vibrate mode isn't all that great. It's more annoying than an actual ringtone at times. Better off not having it.

Your opinions, as much as you may value them, mean squat to Apple right now and will most likely remain that way for a long time. And to call them realistic when we don't even know all the details about this product is a bit absurd.

You are going to have to explain the Vibrating thing and why it more annoying and better off not having it.

I personally could not stand not having a vibrating function on my phone. hard to hear it vibrate at all unless the phone is hard surface (then it is a given) and most phones on vibrate mod you can not hear if they are in a pocket and almost never over ambulate noise. Across 5 different model phones I have used over the years they have all been like that.
Most of the time the only reason you know some got a call is how they reacted to it and pull out there phone to kill the ringer or you see it lighted and them answering it.

So sum all this up you are going to have to explain WHY it better not having it. Personally I think it would be a very bad move by apple to drop it. There are a lot of time where having a ringer on would be very rude and unappreciated but you still need to know when a call comes in or if you got one. Heck there are time where having the ringer go off would be bad but answering the phone is fine and even talking on it is fine providing you talk in a NORMAL VOICE. The ringer is what is disturbing. Vibrating phones can be ignored. I would think it would be rather sad of apple not having a vibrating feature but I willing to bet they are not that stupid to not have it. Hell I like having the Vibrator+ring on phones because that way even in noisy places i can know when my phone is ringing.

vinman

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
I'll second the request/plea/beg/gravel for 3G. This would be a giant error to omit considering the plan to market this device worldwide. How many customers will be alienated by a soon-following release of a 3G version (even within a year)?

Voice Dialing? Surely this will make it into the final release...

If it has a "silent mode", does that not equate to vibrate? Not only does everyone around not necessarily want to hear your phone play "Let's Get it On" when your wife calls, it's nice to have a ring/vibe feature if you're in a noisy environment.

As far as applications; well, one has to assume that enough research is going into this to make the device comparable (better?) than other "smartphones" out there.

It's hard to come up with a list of "demands" when all that was showed at the launch was just basic operational stuff with a few "teasers" thrown in. 3G is at the TOP of the list, though...

vinman

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
You are going to have to explain the Vibrating thing and why it more annoying and better off not having it.

I personally could not stand not having a vibrating function on my phone. hard to hear it vibrate at all unless the phone is hard surface (then it is a given) and most phones on vibrate mod you can not hear if they are in a pocket and almost never over ambulate noise. Across 5 different model phones I have used over the years they have all been like that.
Most of the time the only reason you know some got a call is how they reacted to it and pull out there phone to kill the ringer or you see it lighted and them answering it.

So sum all this up you are going to have to explain WHY it better not having it. Personally I think it would be a very bad move by apple to drop it. There are a lot of time where having a ringer on would be very rude and unappreciated but you still need to know when a call comes in or if you got one. Heck there are time where having the ringer go off would be bad but answering the phone is fine and even talking on it is fine providing you talk in a NORMAL VOICE. The ringer is what is disturbing. Vibrating phones can be ignored. I would think it would be rather sad of apple not having a vibrating feature but I willing to bet they are not that stupid to not have it. Hell I like having the Vibrator+ring on phones because that way even in noisy places i can know when my phone is ringing.

Not to mention the fact that there are times when it may be inappropriate to talk on the phone, but responding to text messages/emails is necessary.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
Why does everyone keep saying that the iPhone doesn't have a silent/vibrate feature???? Steve said it does during the keynote. Seriously.

IT HAS VIBRATE/SILENT MODE!!!

And for everyone that thinks vibrate mode is stupid- are you serious? I think ringtones are rude and obnoxious. Every time a cell phone rings at work or in a movie or at a restaurant... etc.etc... that is extremely rude. I have ALWAYS had my phones on vibrate. I don't need everyone in the room to know that I received a call or a message. Please. Who really needs that much attention?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Why does everyone keep saying that the iPhone doesn't have a silent/vibrate feature???? Steve said it does during the keynote. Seriously.

And for everyone that thinks vibrate mode is stupid- are you serious? I think ringtones are rude and obnoxious. Every time a cell phone rings at work or in a movie or at a restaurant... etc.etc... that is extremely rude. I have ALWAYS had my phones on vibrate. I don't need everyone in the room to know that I received a call or a message. Please. Who really needs that much attention?

who knows where the rumor got started. Not having it would be very stupid of apple. But I do agree on the ringer because I hate when they good off in movie theaters (the phones should be complete off any how or better yet LEFT IN THE CAR but think like dinners and stuff it is very rude but if you know how to speak on them they do not tend to bother people. you just have to make sure the volume of your voice is what it would be like if you where talking with another person there but general it should be very short and to the point conversations in those areas.

Unlike you my phone has it ringer turn on most of the time. I put it on vibrated mode when I go to class and go into places having it go off would be very rude. Reason I leave it on is so I know if I am getting a call because a lot of the time I will set the phone on my desk in my room or on a near by table so the ringer is a requirement. Now my ring tone is a very odd ball ring tone that is very different because it makes it a lot easier to know if it my phone or some else's (currently Alvin and the Chipmunks theme song)

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007

Really? I guess I missed that during the keynote. Well then, one demand down five to go :D . I think someone mentioned financial software in this thread as opposed to carrying a checkbook. That would be a really handy 3rd party app imo. if Apple could implement something to that effect.

TenaciousPZ

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007

He absolutely does NOT which is why this is an issue. He mentioned a SILENT function.

Silent and vibrate are not even close to the same thing, in terms of cell phone usability. Silent is used when you absolutely do not want anyone around to hear your phone (vibrate makes plenty of noise in a quiet setting).

Vibrate is the perfect and ONLY way to notifiy the user of an incoming call or text, but not everyone within 2 blocks as well.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Your giving way to much credit to Apple. the leverage of making the purchase is what makes or breaks every product and/or service in free market economy. The only exception I can think of at the moment is car insurance as some states require that you have it by law. Even in that instance there is still competition for those services driven by consumers. Economy is driven by consumers, and so is the fate of companies that provide products and services to consumers.

Ever see an Apple product flop? because consumers determine the fate of the product? You should research Apple product history or if you have already, bear it in mind before giving Apple that much leverage in a single statement.

You really need to learn Apple's culture. They don't do any focus groups or anything of the like. They build a product the way they want it, add features as they see fit...and if it flops, it is because the consumer doesn't know what they want.

kashimo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2004
Japan
iTunes: Ok this one may not be so minor or realistic at this point as Apple seems to have their mind set on the theory that iTunes on your home PC should be the central location for all your digital media.

This is actually very realistic and I think something Apple WILL implement.
In Japan can download music directly to our phones and sync it back to our computer and vice versa. The bill for downloaded music is attached to our monthly statement. Japanese don't like using credit cards online. We can charge the music to our bank account directly. Softbank, the rumored iPhone provider for Japan (see thread) doesn't have a music download service like DoCoMo or AU. The service is quite popular. Softbank has no plan for their own service. The rumor over here is that they would like Apple to have a mobile iTunes and work to increase content for iTunes (currenly lacks big time). Softbank will take a hit in this area in favor of the iPhone. (The Softbank CEO attended MacWorld and is good friends with Steve Jobs.)

I hate to high-jack this, but I have something I want to see on the iPhone.
FeliCa chip I use my FeliCa Chip enabled phone for paying for things at the store. I can use it as a train pass on many lines and on Domestic ANA flights I can use it as a boarding pass (100% paperless). I think an iPhone version would allow the purchasing of a ticket online and then the chip holds the info. The bill is attached to your monthly statement. But Apple would have to take in just a little further to keep other makers on their toes.

rkrysl

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2007
Storage capacity...

The only reason I would hold out for a little while is to wait for a version of the iPhone with at least 20GB of storage...I don't own an iPod because I was holding out for this, maybe I will wait just a little longer...trust me, I don't want to wait though!!!! Maybe I will just buy it and upgrade later!!!

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
The only reason I would hold out for a little while is to wait for a version of the iPhone with at least 20GB of storage...I don't own an iPod because I was holding out for this, maybe I will wait just a little longer...trust me, I don't want to wait though!!!! Maybe I will just buy it and upgrade later!!!

While future revisions of an 8GB iPhone are more than likely in the future I wouldn't hold out. I have a gazillion mp3s and videos that fit on my iPod but won't fit on my iPhone but I'm not really worried about it. I don't listen to a gazillion mp3s on a daily basis :p . Just make a playlist in iTunes, call it iPhone playlist or what have ya and shove about 4 to 6 gigs worth of your most listened to / favorite media on it.

I'm personally hoping to dump 3 devices in June; an outdated blackberry, an iPod (pre vid version), and a 4gig Palm Lifedrive. I'm a device carrying mess at the moment, can't wait for this phone to ship.

Kashimo,

While I don't think a FeliCia Chip or something of that sort would be likely to happen in the iPhone that ships in June, I really like the idea of it; seen it used in Japan. I hope something like this hits the US market in a big way in future models of iPhone. I would imagine that VISA, MasterCard, and others are going to try to get a piece of this trend also as well as the current manufacturers of in store card scanning devices.

Public transportation and new trend cellphone consumers in the US really don't mix though. Heck, public transportation alone isn't really that big in the US; not as it is in Europe and Japan. So I don't think the technology would find it's way to this sector initially unless it's a small project funded by local governments.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Vibrate is the most used function on ANY cell phone.... at least any cellphone used by someone with an ounce of common courtesy.

Vibrate the most used function on any phone... Riiiiight. I'm the ONLY one I know who has the decency to put my phone on vibrate.

Personally I think they shouldn't even make phones that have audible rings.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Vibrate the most used function on any phone... Riiiiight. I'm the ONLY one I know who has the decency to put my phone on vibrate.

Seriously.
I can't tell you how many people I know who just let their phone ring loudly no matter where it is -- in the middle of dinner, at work, and yes... even shows.

I have my phone on vibrate all the time (if it's on silent, then I never notice calls until the next day or so). So as much as I want the iPhone, I can't get it unless it has a vibrate feature.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

remember if the phone is on vibrate you are not going to hear it. So how can you tell that you are the only one who does it. You only hear the people who forget to do it. The one of Vibrate you would not know if a call came in unless you where watching the person phone and knew it was ringing.

As for it being used I think it is one of the most widely used feature. When ever a call comes in on my phone it always vibrates weather or not the ringer is turned on.
When I do go to a place where have the phone ringer on I to put it to silent/manner mode 9 times out of 10. the 1 out of 10 are just times where I forgot to do it. Mind you most of the time when I get a call in class is always one of those few times I forget to turn off my ringer.

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
Why are people so defensive towards the Iphone?

Point blank this device is a DUD

the iPhone doesn't have voice-dialing, voice memos, 3G Internet access, Word or Excel support, one-handed operation, or video recording. It can't be used as a laptop modem. The battery can't be replaced. It doesn't support removable storage. The calendar, task list and e-mail won't sync with Microsoft Outlook.

As a media player, the screen is big and the interface is undeniably cool. But storage limitations will seriously annoy people when they actually try to use the thing. Consider this: The operating system by itself will reportedly use about half a gigabyte. Add the included applications plus personal data such as contacts, all your songs, album art (to take advantage of the music browsing feature) and maybe a dozen or so podcast subscriptions, and at least 2 GB will be used before any movies are loaded. Movies available on iTunes range from just under 1 GB to just over 2 GB. There's not a lot of space left for video

Believe it or not apples market share is anywhere between 10-15% (might be exxagerating ).

Windows is up there with the gods 80-90% and counting
not a lot of peopel like apple. their used to windows so for the 90%+ that use windows to not have the baility to sync to outlook is a deal breaker.

Apple expects 10mill 1% gain with so many limitations?
His rfd is out of control i cant believe people fall for it.

APPLE TV ?
iPhone?

Apple needs to release Mail app for windows how else will this CRAP work with windows the dominant company?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
My Number 1 Demand:

A lower price.

iSuppli estimates it costs 230 dollars to build the 4GB iPod, implying 50% margin on these devices! That's insanely high, given the devices are also tied into a contract with the carrier for 2 years.

I think it's also going to hurt the device's perception. I think Apple is aiming for this mobile platform (ultimately) to be as pervasive as the iPod, yet with its high price it's inevitably going to be compared with high-end business phones where it'll suffer from lack of certain features (3G, Exchange/Office support etc.)

If the iPhone was selling for (say) 250 with a 2 year contract, I think it would be viewed more as an affordable, easy to use smartphone for the consumer, and could really take off. Given that price, I think analysts (and customers) would be more likely to be more forgiving of the device's shortcomings.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
A lower price.
iSuppli estimates it costs 230 dollars to build the 4GB iPod, implying 50% margin on these devices! That's insanely high, given the devices are also

Read that thread again and you'll find that each iPhone actually costs much more than that. Apple has millions invested in R&D for this device, and that's just the beginning.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
He absolutely does NOT which is why this is an issue. He mentioned a SILENT function.

Silent and vibrate are not even close to the same thing, in terms of cell phone usability. Silent is used when you absolutely do not want anyone around to hear your phone (vibrate makes plenty of noise in a quiet setting).

Vibrate is the perfect and ONLY way to notifiy the user of an incoming call or text, but not everyone within 2 blocks as well.

Also, vibrate is the only way to tell you're getting a call when it is *too loud* to hear your phone ring. I work in the entertainment industry, and often the sound guys have the system cranked so high there is no cell phone that could ring loud enough to cut through. At least if it vibrates I can step out of the venue to take the call. I bet I'm not the only one who works in environments like this, and I'm sure the iPhone will vibrate. That's pretty standard.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Read that thread again and you'll find that each iPhone actually costs much more than that. Apple has millions invested in R&D for this device, and that's just the beginning.

hopefully, the price will go down quicker enough.
as much as u said is true, customers won't care that much about why iPhone is expensive,

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Also, vibrate is the only way to tell you're getting a call when it is *too loud* to hear your phone ring. I work in the entertainment industry, and often the sound guys have the system cranked so high there is no cell phone that could ring loud enough to cut through. At least if it vibrates I can step out of the venue to take the call. I bet I'm not the only one who works in environments like this, and I'm sure the iPhone will vibrate. That's pretty standard.

standard cell doesn't have a delicate structure inside that might be damaged by vibrating alot.

mac24/7

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2005
feature ideas/requests for iPhone

iPhone

iChat AV & built-in webcam to communicate with other iPhones/iPhone users, and mac computers. This might be an incentive for PC owners of the iPhone to switch to mac.

Yahoo Maps Directions feature (or similar) Maybe it already has this? Would like to be able to get a text rundown of directions & reverse directions between two locations:

GPS
Ok, too much to ask for full blown GPS, & maybe scary to think that someone has tabs on your location on you at any given moment. Is there a way of ONLY letting people that you specify in your contacts list to know your GPS position, plotted on a visual map. Like a momentary snapshot of your location at that given moment?

That'd be great for letting friends/family know where to meet you & how to get there from their current location...integrate the text directions feature, graphical map feature, GPS into one? All you'd have to do is select contacts, hit a button to trade GPS info..and related data between the 2 parties would pop up on the screen.

Include an interactive map key/legend for displaying places of interest in the local vicinities... Cinemas within either walking distance, driving distance, nearest public car parking related to cinemas in the vicinity could be displayed automatically.

I can see iPhone & it's features have the potential to evolve almost infinately. The shell will stay the same, but the phones UI can change, as well as it's apps....ongoingly improvable...via a software update delivered wirelessly via 'edge' similar to mac computers? Instead of the iPhone becoming outdated as competition slowly catches up, the iPhone can always be a step ahead.

Video game developers are adding downloadable extras, extra game missions, extra maps, extra modifications to the game software. Apple do it regulary with OS X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.