Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lumpenProle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
I would like a thread which compiles a list of phones capable of providing a wifi iPad2 with data/internet, either via bluetooth or a mobile wifi hotspot. I could not find any information on this as most information on the topic is only about iPhones.

I recently bought a wifi iPad 2 and my friend was able to share his data/wifi connection via bluetooth from his iPhone 3. I tried to do this with my Huawei U1250 but the iPad said the device was incompatible. What are the restrictions on bluetooth tethering? Is it a hardware compatibility issue or is this an Apple thing?

I realize most new smart phones are capable of a mobile wifi hotspot but I do not need a smart phone, have an iPad. Are there any dumb-phones out there which can become a mobile wifi hotspot?

If you have any recommendations for phones, please specify the carrier frequency as I am from Canada and for religious reasons must use AWS aka Band IV (T-mobile). But feel free to list GSM or other hardware.

Which phones can tether data via bluetooth?
Which phones can tether data via mobile wifi hotspot?

Thank you.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
You are only able to tether via bluetooth if the iPhone is on 4.3+ so only iPhone 4 and 3GS.

I'm also positive that only smart-phones has mobile hotspot type of features. The provider gets you for the data plan on the smart phone, then an additional plan for the tethering. Also because dumb-phones do not have WiFi radios so it wouldn't be possible.

lumpenProle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
I'll start this out myself with what I have found:

1700/2100 MHz UMTS/WCDMA (AWS band) phones with mobile wifi hotspot:

Huawei U8100 (android 2.1)
Huwaei E583 (Pocket hostpot, not a phone)

Bluetooth tether:
I've heard many blackberries are capable but I do not know which ones or which run on the AWS band.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Well in order to get it to tether to an iPad, it needs to be running iOS 4.3+. Currently it is an apple thing.

Also where are you located? I have never heard of that brand or seen that phone.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Supported Tethered Modem BlackBerry smartphones off of their support website:
BlackBerry® Bold™ smartphones
BlackBerry® Curve™ 3G smartphone
BlackBerry® Curve™ 8300 smartphone
BlackBerry® Curve™ 8310 smartphone
BlackBerry® Curve™ 8320 smartphone
BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330 smartphone
BlackBerry® Curve™ 8500 Series
BlackBerry® Curve™ 8900 smartphone
BlackBerry® Pearl™ 3G smartphone
BlackBerry® Storm™ smartphones
BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 smartphone
BlackBerry® Torch™ 9800 smartphone
BlackBerry® Tour™ 9630 smartphone
BlackBerry® 8830 World Edition smartphone
BlackBerry® 8820 smartphone
BlackBerry® 8800 smartphone
BlackBerry® 8707g smartphone
BlackBerry® 8705g smartphone
BlackBerry® 8703e smartphone
BlackBerry® 7250 smartphone
BlackBerry® 7130e smartphone
BlackBerry® 7130c smartphone

lumpenProle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
Thank you guys.

Perhaps, "cheap" phone would be more helpful than "dumb" phone for finding a mobile hotspot.

Huawei is the next HTC.

lumpenProle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
I might just get the playbook instead, I'm tired of all the work arounds I have to do to get my iPad to behave like I want.

macinnv

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'm using a T-Mobile android phone to tether. Free 4G tethering is the best benefit to T-Mobile. My ATT friends at work sometimes tether to me if they want a faster connection.

shaown

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
I actually don't believe any of these work with the IPad. IPad requires Bluetooth PAN support, the the Blackberries all only support Bluetooth DUN for tethering.
-Shaown

Supported Tethered Modem BlackBerry smartphones off of their support website:
BlackBerry® Bold™ smartphones
BlackBerry® Curve™ 3G smartphone
BlackBerry® Curve™ 8300 smartphone
BlackBerry® Curve™ 8310 smartphone
BlackBerry® Curve™ 8320 smartphone
BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330 smartphone
BlackBerry® Curve™ 8500 Series
BlackBerry® Curve™ 8900 smartphone
BlackBerry® Pearl™ 3G smartphone
BlackBerry® Storm™ smartphones
BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 smartphone
BlackBerry® Torch™ 9800 smartphone
BlackBerry® Tour™ 9630 smartphone
BlackBerry® 8830 World Edition smartphone
BlackBerry® 8820 smartphone
BlackBerry® 8800 smartphone
BlackBerry® 8707g smartphone
BlackBerry® 8705g smartphone
BlackBerry® 8703e smartphone
BlackBerry® 7250 smartphone
BlackBerry® 7130e smartphone
BlackBerry® 7130c smartphone

ethics101

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
Any Wifi Hotspot should work as the iPad thinks its a wifi connection...just a slower one.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
We really don't need a gigantic list of phones. All you need to do is check that the phone can provide EITHER:

- Wifi hotspot sharing (not via ad hoc networks, unless you want the jailbreak)

OR

- Bluetooth Personal Area Network (PAN) profiling. NOT dial-up networking (DUN)

I might just get the playbook instead, I'm tired of all the work arounds I have to do to get my iPad to behave like I want.

Good luck with that.

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008

Funny you say that. The Playbook (isn't finished and) can't do ad-hoc networking. Most (if not all) wifi hotspot phones create an ad-hoc wi-fi network.

I have the U8100 on Wind mobile. The phone is a complete POS, it's slow, many apps don't work, and it's got a resistive touchscreen. But, I got it for $140 off-contract, and it does have a wifi tether app that works beautifully with my iPad, iPod, and mac. But beware, the battery goes in less than 2 hours while tethering.

By the way, as soon as there is an AWS-friendly iPhone, I'll be the first one in line.

macaddict3

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
umm i think u could just get a cheap modem wifi hotspot thingy for like 10 bucks or less dont even need a phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.