List View in Dock! I'm SO CLOSE! Please help.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheSpaz, Oct 28, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Okay... So I was hacking the Dock to see what I could do to it when I happened upon this file English.lproj>DockMenus.strings and I noticed way down on the bottom there is a "list" function. So I thought I'd try to put that in my Dock. Check out the screenshot here:
    Picture 1.png

So I went ahead and opened DockMenus.plist in PropertyListEditor and found the Directory list and added "List" to that as seen below:
    Picture 6.png

The problem is, I don't know the code number for the "List" command to trigger the List view so, I'm kinda stuck. Check out what I got so far.
    Picture 2.png

I'm no hacker, so I don't know what code number to put in there to enable list but, it looks like there once was a list view that I just can't seem to get back. Anyone else who is better at this stuff wanna help me out or give this hack a shot? It seems like I'm on the right track but, I'm stuck. Thanks.

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

lol Wow, great work so far. That looks like it will be promising......
    Why would Apple put in that functionality (or make it possible) and then get rid of it when a LOT of people used folders in their dock in Tiger?

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Good question. Hopefully it was one of those last minute conflict issues so they had to pull it for the GM but will include it in a future update. I would love to have the Tiger functionality back.

4. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Awesome! And it's only been a few days.

E-mail Apple and ask them the rest. Lol.

5. MBX macrumors 65816

i hope someone can help him
    or apple release update with this option asap.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I did this yesterday but all i could establish is

0=Grid
    1=Fan
    2=Grid
    any number that isn't 1 means grid, obviously i didn't check every number only did -2 through 7.

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah... without knowing the exact number... how are we supposed to figure it out?

8. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have a question: How did the person who originally came up with the 2D Dock plist hack, find out about that edit without any previous trace of that setting in the original com.apple.dock.plist file. I looked at the file thoroughly and couldn't find that setting and I had to manually add it to the plist file. How do we figure out the secret codes to add to these plist files to get features that were pulled?

9. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

You just made my day! Hopefully stacks is just a buggy application right now in Leopard and will be re-enabled shortly.

You are awesome, keep on chugging.... I agree that you should email apple for the answer - can't hurt right?

10. iTim314 macrumors 6502

It's quite possible no set number has been set, so any other number other than 1 would yield grid view.

That may have to wait for an update, not a simple string. =\

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Bummer. I was under the impression that they were working on this feature and decided that it was useless and just deleted it from the DockMenus.plist. Damn.

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Chances are they looked at the plist file when the dock was on the side (it would've added that value) and when it was on the bottom.

I had a quick search through Dock.appusing a hex editor and didn't find anything of much use, the word List is too prevalent.

Thats thought is pretty much what i had come to.

13. iTim314 macrumors 6502

What Hex Editor were you using?

And is there another term (something generic used by developers to minimize confusion) for "list"?

14. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Is it possible to do a search for 'list NEAR view' in the hex editor?

NEAR is the only boolean search command I miss. The search engine I used to use way back in the 90's was Alta Vista (iirc), and I used the NEAR search term all the time and it was super helpful in finding relevant results. Then Google came out and they didn't have the NEAR modifier, but were so much better otherwise that I switched to google.

Ah NEAR, how I miss thee.

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

0xED, to be honest I didn't put too much effort into this as i don't really care about enabling list view from a personal stand point.