List Your 30 Years of Mac

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rezwits, Jan 24, 2014.

1. rezwits macrumors 6502a

rezwits

I put together my time capsule of Macs these last 30 years.

It all started for me one day while going to computer store where I would buy Atari 2600 games, and seeing the Lisa :( then I saw the $9,995 price! I told my mom I understood there was no way I could get the Lisa, but could I at least get a Commodore Vic 20. We couldn't find one and the only thing for sale was a Commodore 64. After that I struggled to get into the computing world but eventually things worked out one day! Especially, when I got a Macintosh Iix for $2,000 from the want ads! YES!

All Good Times! (List your timeline for fun) It's interesting to me...

Commodore 64
    Apple IIe
    ImageWriter
    SE/30
    Personal LaserWriter NT
    Macintosh IIx
    ImageWriter II
    Quadra 840av
    PowerBook Duo 210
    PowerBook 520
    PowerBook 520c
    PowerMac G3/266
    PowerBook G3/400 (FireWire/Pismo)
    PowerBook G3/400 (FireWire/Pismo) #2
    PowerMac G4/466 Dual
    PowerMac G4/466 Dual #2
    PowerMac G4/533 Dual
    PowerMac G4/533 Dual #2
    PowerMac G4/1.25 Dual
    PowerBook G4 (12-inch, 1.33GHz)
    PowerMac G5/2.5 Quad
    Mac Pro 2.66 Quad (2006)
    Mac Pro 2.66 Quad (2006)
    MacBook 2.0 GHz (13-inch, Late 2006) Black
    MacBook Pro 2.26 GHz (13-inch, Mid 2009)
    MacMini 2.0 (2009)
    Mac Pro 2.66 8-core (2009)
    MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz (17-inch, Early 2011)
    MacBook Air 1.7 (11-inch, Mid 2012)
    Chillin . . . :p

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Well, I'm a bit younger than most, but my timeline goes something like this

Mom's HP Pavilion
    Some windows computer
    Some windows computer
    White iMac, 2006 20" 2.16gHz
    MacBook Pro Late 2008, 15" 2.66gHz

not a very long list... yet! :D

3. Micky Do, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014

Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

First use - 1985 original / First buy - 2005 Mini/ Second and current - 2009 Mini

I first used the original Mac at university, where they had a lab full of them. It was all quite instinctive. We also had to learn to do some things on IBM clones using MS DOS or some such. I wondered why.

After graduating into the 1987 economic crisis, I went back to working on farms. There was not much call for a computer when building fences, shearing sheep and driving tractors…. and still isn't.

It was about a decade before I had anything to do with computers again, when I did battle with Window's '95 and then '98. I started teaching, but still use was sporadic until I came to my present job in 2003, and an office with Windows XP on its computers.

I wanted to do more work at home, so needed a computer, but didn't want a laptop. But neither did I want a large desktop….. I had not (and still have never) owned anything that cannot be carried easily on a motorcycle.

When the Mini came on the market in 2005 it fitted my criteria, and I was back to Mac.

In 2009, when the HDD and the power supply failed that first Mini didn't seem worth repairing. I bought my second Mini, which I am still using.

4. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Our household mac timeline

It all strarted in 2002:
    Powerbook G4 Titanium 667MHz

Then:
    Powerbook G4 Aluminium 1.67GHz
    Macbook CoreDuo White

Now:
    iMac 24" 3.06GHz
    MacMini i5

And later this year:
    MacBook Pro 15"Retina

:apple:

For the forseeable future i will be spending my computing euros at Apple!

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Our first computer was the Vic 20. That thing was rubbish!

I've been a PC man since then until finally making the jump in late 2012 with the (then) newly released iMac. Still going strong today and I couldn't imagine ever going back.

6. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

1983 - Sega SC-3000 computer
    1988 - 99 - Amiga Computer > Windows Computer
    1999 - Blue and White G3
    and the rest is in my signature.

The reason I changed from Windows to Mac?

A friend had a Mac and it was easy to fix yourself in comparison to a Windows machine. I wanted to do video editing and I wanted a system that I could buy in English. It wasn't really possible to easily do that on a Windows machine at that time for me in Japan. So I got a mac and liked it far better than windows, but it wasn't until OS X came out that I loved it.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

LCIII
    Macintosh Preforma
    iBook G3
    iMac first gen Intel (shared this with my mum and sister, so not entirely mine)
    Macintosh Classic
    iMac G3
    13" Polycarbon MacBook
    13" MacBook Pro
    iBook G3 (another one)
    13" MacBook Air

Most of the older ones were handed down, since I wasn't even alive when some of them were made :p

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me, the following path along the Macintosh highway.

TRS Color Computer
    IBM XT
    IBM Clone
    Macintosh SE
    Bondi Blue iMac
    G4 Cube
    G4 PowerMac
    iBook
    G4 PowerBook
    G5 Powermac
    white Macbook
    15" Macbook Pro
    15" Macbook Pro unibody
    13" Macbook Pro
    Retina Macbook Pro

9. And macrumors 6502

And

In approximate chronological order, my mac usage:

Mac Plus (Uni)
    IIfx (Uni)
    SE/30 (Flatmates)
    7100, LCIIs, Quadras, 8100, Powerbook 165 (Uni)
    Performa 475 (Mine, my first! Sold)
    Powerbook 5300c (Mine! Sold)
    Powerbook 1400cs (Mine! Still boots...:))
    Powermac 7200/75 (Mine! Sold)
    Beige G3/233 (Work)
    IIci (Work, but then given to me! Thrown in a dumpster...:eek:)
    Powermac g4/533 (A freebie I picked up. Died:mad:)
    Mac Mini C2D 2.0GHz (2009, My main machine now:))
    Powermac g4 867 (Mine! Still works:))
    Mac mini C2D 2.26 (Mine! A machine for second location. Died:mad:)
    Macbook pro 2.4GHz (Mine! Sold)
    Powermac g5 Dual 2.0 GHz (Mine! Still works and in daily use :D)
    Macbook Air i5 (Mine! Still using...)

That's a longer list than I thought it would be. So, never used a Pro, or owned an iMac or owned a G3. The fastest mac I've used is probably my current Air. The worst purchase was the 7200/75, cost me an arm and a leg and was so crash-prone. Probably the best purchase was the Mac mini (Still using now, has been a real workhorse). Here's to the next 30 years! ;)

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Macintosh Color Classic
    iBook G3
    iMac G4
    Power Mac G5
    Late 2009 White MacBook
    Late 2010 iMac
    Late 2011 MacBook Air

I doubt I'll be buying any more though.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Mac SE w/ Imagewriter (Both still work)
    Mac LC
    Mac //si
    Performa something or other
    Performa something or other
    iBook G3
    iMac G3
    PowerBook G4
    Mac mini G4
    iMac G5
    MacBook late 2008

12. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Past:
    G4 eMac
    17" G4 iMac
    (2) G4 iBooks
    G4 Mac Mini
    Core Duo Black MacBook
    Core 2 Duo Mac Mini
    24" Core 2 Duo iMac

Present:
    Mid 2011 i5 Mac Mini

Future:
    Next gen Mac Mini

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm a relatively new Mac user. I didn't get my first Mac until August 2007 when the aluminum iMac came out. I love it and it is one of my main computers.

14. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

In order of when I got them:

2004 iBook G4
    2005 "Sunflower" iMac G4
    2008 Macbook (Aluminum)
    2007 Mac mini
    2013 Hackintosh

Some of the dates might be off by a year or two, but close enough. :)

15. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I couldn't even possibly list every machine I've ever owned. My dad has worked at private schools all my life, and he'd find old computers in closets and just the general ones being thrown out to replace newer ones, so I've had tons of desktops, tons of laptops, and for a few months one of the really old consoles.

But I'll tell you the back story of why I use Macs...

So like I said, my dad has worked in private schools all my life, and in the 80's. He started out as a janitor, and he used to setup/startup the Apple computers for the school. He always liked them, and even took a sticker from one of the boxes and stuck it on his checkbook. Apple's name as just growing then, and every time he'd go to the store, they'd ask him about it. They thought he was a programmer or something. :D

Apple //e (or one of the variations) - So this was the first Apple computer I ever saw. I was two at the time, and don't remember much of it, other than the floppy drives, some paint program that looked like MacPaint (probably was MousePaint), and two Garfield games:

I was kinda too old for them, but I remember seeing my mom playing them. I mostly stuck to painting. Two years old and had my own desk though, hahaha.

PowerBook 180c - My dad found this in a closet and gave it to a friend to give to his daughter for college. They gave it back four years later, and I've had it ever since. It doesn't power on anymore, but I plan to do something with it... Someday.

15" MacBook Pro (Late 2006) - The first Mac we actually ever bought. Mostly for getting me through photography and journalism in high school.

Power Macintosh G3 Desktop - Obtained when they cleaned out a classroom of old Macs
    iMac G3 - Same as above

iBook 466 - I bought it off eBay after I totaled my 2006 MacBook Pro. :eek:

Power Mac G5 (1.8 original) - It was originally my photography teacher's. I used it from 2003 to 2008 in class, and now since 2009 after they threw them out and replaced them with new iMacs.

iMac G4 17" - Some kid brought it over to use in class when he was a student and left it there after he graduated. They threw it out the same year as the Power Macs. I use it as my main desktop machine now. :D

13" MacBook Pro (Late 2011) - The first Mac I bought with my own money. :p The hardest I've pushed it so far is rendering animation stills 24 hours straight in Maya. Could have probably cooked breakfast for 10 while it was happening. :D

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

who could afford the early Mac? :eek:

For a few years I would rent computer time on a Mac at Kinkos starting in late 1985. After a few years a friend bought a Mac SE and I mooched time on it. The next used-but-didn't-own were several configurations of the Mac ll. They were the Ci and CX if I'm remembering correctly, and we all drooled over the Mac IIfx that one of our clients had.

Finally bought a used Mac SE30 for a super price. That was followed by a Quadra 605, the first time I owned Mac purchased as a new computer. After that came a used Quadra 800.

Then the grape colored iMac G3, a G5 iMac and finally my current 4 year old iMac. I've kept the two previous iMacs for 5 years each so that would suggest something new in 2015.

17. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

2006? imac
    2011 17" macbook pro
    2011 13" macbook air
    2012 15" retina macbook pro
    2013 13" retina macbook pro

18. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Before the Mac:
    Apple ][+
    Apple //c

Macs:
    Macintosh Plus
    MacIIsi
    Macintosh Quadra 800

eMac G4 1.25Ghz
    MacBook 13" late 2006
    MacBook Pro Unibody 15" late 2008

And looking forward for a new one this year!

19. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

20. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Power Mac 6300 (1996)
    Power Macintosh G3 (1998)
    iMac 1999
    iMac G3 (2003) - my favorite Mac - the lampshade iMac
    iMac 2007
    iMac 2009 (dud refurb bought in 2010)
    iMac 2010

After the 1999 iMac was replaced, I average about 3.7 - 4.2 years on every Mac.

I love them, so easy to use. They've taken me through web design, content creation, enjoyment etc.

And as long as they continue to be, I will continue to use them. This is my 18th year of ownership and I'm looking forward buying a new one this year.

21. cambookpro, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014

cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

The first computer I used was older than me, so I don't really go back that far :p

1996 Performa 5400
    2001 PowerBook G4 Titanium
    2003 PowerBook G4 Aluminium
    2006 MacBook Pro
    2008 MacBook Pro
    2010 iMac
    2011 MacBook Pro

However, my dad had many old Macs (Macintosh Plus and Macintosh Color come to mind, along with many Quadras and Power Macintoshes). Unfortunately, I don't think I ever got to use them.

My earliest memory is playing Key Whack on OS 9, but apparently I did use OS 8 for a while (although I don't remember it!)

Still have the Performa (in the attic, not sure if it boots), the TiBook (dead :( ), the iMac and the 2011 MBP.

22. rezwits thread starter macrumors 6502a

rezwits

Great Responses

Great responses from you guys!

Thanks, good reading and observations of how mac life is!

23. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

24. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

Pretty short list for me...

iMac G3
    Late 2011 MBP
    Early 2013 rMBP

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Compaq luggable w/ dual floppies and a hard card was my first computer.

Some DOS-based laptop, it was ok, ran an early Windoze, had a nice keyboard.

512k unenhanced, it was a tossup between that and a new used car... the Mac won.
    Powerbook 170 - loved it, still drove that same old 1980 Datsun so I could pay for it.

IIci, IIcx at work - they were fabulous for their time.
    Powerbook 520c at work when traveling, not a fan of that one

Powerbook 3400c at home - not a big fan of that one either, problems with bay-drives esp. the ZIPs.

clamshell ibooks, tangerine and a lime one - lots of fun and lasted a long time

assorted white ibooks - some of them actually still run at neighbors' kids' places; the last one I kept for a recipe server finally croaked.

G4 titanium 15" powerbook - used with MIDI and music-related peripherals, it still works but it's frozen in time with the dependencies.

G4 12" powerbooks - favorite machine for reliability and taking a joke in transport, this became the machine I used at home and also at work, no more bother w/ desktops.

black macbook - all time favorite after the G4

Macbook Pro mid 2010... well mine is either a lemon or it's just not a great iteration.
    Macbook Air now we're talkin' nifty. Yes, lighter weight is a big plus for me.

Thinking about a newer MBP (but a refurb not current model: one more round wtih an internal optical for me), but haven't decided yet. My budget is shot after phone upgrade and doing iPad and mini iPad last year. Rice and damn few beans time! By time I get the money side squared away I might opt for a refurb of a later model. Still, right now I like the idea of 8GB RAM, 750GB drive to accommodate plenty data, all my music, lots of video and an optical drive for movies not sold in digital format. I often enough use CDs and DVDs anyway, and somehow an external reader with a laptop seems like a real pain in the neck.

==

My 512k Mac, which I got in 1985, still booted a couple years ago, haven't tried it again. The boot diskette must be getting pretty fragile by now so I figure don't mess with it and maybe it will boot one more time in 2015 for its 30th birthday party. Then it will become an aquarium (or a geranium pot).