List your Three Best games of the year!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I figured the "worst games" thread could use a friend. :)

Only three games! Choose wisely!

My picks, in no particular order:

- FAR CRY 2:
    Game that sucked me in the most, I've played it for hours on end and totally got lost in the world. Perfect shooter for me.

- LITTLE BIG PLANET:
    Just so much fun, especially with multiple players. And it really doesn't get much cuter than that!

- GTA IV:
    Yes, I think it's an exellent piece of gaming, and I stand by it. :D I just would have wished for less jaggies, but I think the city they created and the gaming experience as a whole is amazing.

I wanted to include Uncharted, since I only played it this summer, but it actually came out last year...truly excellent game though. Dead Space might have made the list too, but I simply haven't gotten around to really play it yet.

EDIT: And the top three games mentioned in this thread are:

- Little Big Planet (11)
    - Metal Gear Solid 4 (10)
    - Dead Space (7)

UPDATE: Dead Space just beat GTA and Fallout!

I'll try to update this as the thread goes along...

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

mmm just three... Now that's incredibly tough.

Well I have selected these three as they are the ones I have ploughed more time into than the others, and therefore one would assume that I must get more enjoyment out of them, then.

Fable 2 - A few complained the story was too short, however personally I thought it was the perfect length to sustain interest. Added to the myriad of side-quests and abilities opening up after you have played the main game, Lionhead had finally delivered the majority of what they promised.

Little Big Planet - Creative brilliance, that gets better with the heaps of user content, and DLC for it.

Viva Pinata : Trouble in Paradise - Ironing out the bad stuff from the first game and adding more to it at the same time, Trouble in Paradise has sucked hours out of my gaming life and for that it gets a big thumbs up for me.

Honorable mentions to the following however as these would make up the remaining top games of this year.

Viva Pinata : DS | Banjo Kazooie - Nuts & Bolts
    Metal Gear Solid 4 | Fallout 3
    Dead Space | Lego Games (Batman & Indy)
    LocoRoco 2 | Proffesor Layton & The Curious Village

That's my top stuff anyway. I know the honorable mentions are a cheat, but seriously just three ;)

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Here's the games I played this year that I've truly enjoyed.

Finished this one a few:
    Dead Space -- More please...

I haven't finished these games, but I'm enjoying them greatly:

-The Witcher (I've played for over 30 hours)
    This is the best RPG I've played in so long. It feels like a real world. The story is intriguing and even when I feel myself drifting on my own tangents, there's always a clear direction I can go back to, that doesn't feel linear.

When this game hits consoles this year, I'm pretty sure everyone here except MRU will love it. :eek:

-Mass Effect (Iv'e played for about 20 hours.)
    For me this game is Phantasy Star 2 + Star Flight + a squad shooter. It's every sci-fi cliché rolled into one. :)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Going off how much time I put into them-

Smash Bros Brawl - just pure addictiveness and awesomeness. God knows how many days I've pumped into it so far and I still haven't unlocked 100%. Really came to life when playing in a party atmosphere, though I much prefer intense, item-free 1 on 1's :p

Mario Kart Wii - more addiction. First it was to play through to 100%, then to get a high rank on the online bit, then to pwn friends and ship out ghosts on my best levels. Then there's the competitions... Nintendo really pushed themselves into making a decent online title. Shame they didn't do the same to Brawl. Or maybe not, I'd like some free time.

Other than them 2 I'm still playing games from last year that still have me hooked and playing older PSP games I missed out on. So I'll just end it with LocoRoco 2 Only played a bit of this so far but it's ruddy good stuff. Much more fun than the original, so far at least!

5. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

Here are my 3

Fallout 3-just amazing even tho i have'nt scrached the surface of the game yet its still just mind blowing

Farcry 2-what a game when im not killing mercs im finding new and fun ways to kill the animals in the game so far its setting waterbuffalo on fire :)

Metal Gear Solid-just amazing game all over.

The others

Batman-Lego
    Race Driver:Grid
    Brothers in arms:Hells Highway

6. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Fallout 3 - It's no where near the genius of Fallout 1/2 BUT it's still a very very solid game. Looks much nicer than I expected, the leveling system has been fixed from the stupidity that was Oblivion, the world is still huge and VATS redeems the awful FPS-like shooting. Awesome game and with G.E.C.K. on the way, it's going to get even better.

Persona 3: FES] - Yeah P3 is from last year but FES is from THIS year. Redeemed JRPG's for me. After shifting through the crap Squeenix is putting out lately, and the crap that is on the 360 it took a damn PS2 game to get it right. It's utterly Japanese, a ton of level grinding through all 250+ floors of the randomly generated dungeon but the battle system is fast and surprisingly deep. The music (even though over the course of 70+ hours it gets a little repetitive) is perfect for the game, the voice acting (save for Ken, he sucks) is really well done, the localization puts most JRPG's to shame and it was $30! I scoffed at the idea of a social sim mixed with an RPG but I adore P3.

Gear 2 - It's like Commando, it's stupid, overdone, violent and clunky but still amazing. Best graphics on a console (though it looks like Killzone 2 and then Heavy Rain will take that honour over). It controls better than the first one (still clunky but it works) and the voice-acting is laughable but in a good way. The campaign has more variety, levels like the lab and the monster are fantastically done, and it's longer to boot. I still wanna play co-op :(

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Dead Space - This game is excellent....the atmosphere and the story all in one game. I'm truly impressed by EA with this one...my GOTY.

Fallout 3 - I'm starting my second playthrough today and its just a fun game all around. The 50's music set the tone for this game and the different ways this game can be played.

Little Big Planet - I'm not interested in making levels..I just want to play them and what I've played I enjoyed. I really dig the music and the level design made by MM.

Honorable Mentions:

Prince of Persia
    Silent Hill Homecoming
    Metal Gear Solid 4 - Really good game
    Resistance 2

I have to mention Pixel Junk Eden/TF2 because it gave me hours of enjoyment.

Bless

8. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

9. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

1. Fallout 3: I can't say enough good things about this game. I am about halfway through the straight story line (level 12), and it just suprises me with greatness at every turn. I have never played the originals, but I may now.

2. Smash Bros. Brawl: I am a smash bros. addict, and this game is a great combo of classic smash bros. fun with a slightly next gen feel. I love it!

3. Dead Space: I loved this game. The absence of a HUD really made me feel like I was playing a horror movie, moreso than any game I have played before. The atmopshere and weapons really sold this one for me.

Man, just thinking about these games makes me want to leave work and sit in front of my PC/360/Wii all day...

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Do they have to be released this year? or just mostly played this year?

I've only purchased two games this year, Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the MK has taken most of my time recently, but I do like to Brawl now and again. Of course I'm severely time limited all the time so even the simplest game can take me months to complete.

If I needed to pick a third, it wasn't released this year, but Super Mario Galaxy got most of my early year playtime.

We're also getting Boom Blox and Wii Fit for Christmas (I'm hoping my daughter can/will enjoy playing either/both, have to get her started early).

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Technically though, that was a 2007 game.

For me, I quite enjoyed Fallout 3.

12. Chic0 macrumors 6502

in no particular order......

Dead Space

Metal Gear Solid 4

Little Big Planet

13. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

1) Little Big Planet. I still don't have it because I'm holding off until after the holidays but I have played hours of this at a friends. Every level included is amazing and unique, but it really shines with all the user created stuff. This game will continue to be "fresh" for a long time.

2) Super Mario Galaxy. I'll admit I'm not much of a Wii fan, just not hi-tech enough for me. But this game was addicting and along the same line as LBP in that the levels were really unique each time. It was perfect example of how the Wii controllers can be very affective when done right.

3) GTA:4. I didn't finish the game, but only because I was in the process of moving, but I did invest hours into this game. I plan to go back to finish. While it may not look as nice as other games, the vast amount of stuff that is going on is amazing. It really felt like a thriving city you were navigating through. It also did a good job of changing up the challenges so it didn't get stagnant in game play.

I also really got into COD4 in 2008, even though it came out in late 2007. I played that everyday for months to get to level 55. Most addictive online play, and i played a ton of Halo2/3.

14. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Metal Gear Solid 4 - This is one of those games that reminds me why I like to play video games, it's amazing, I get totally immersed playing and only realize I've been playing 3 (or more) hours straight when the game reminds me to take a break :p. I love it, it's probably Game of the Year overall for me. This alone made the purchase of a PS3 more than totally worth it.

Devil May Cry 4 - I played this on PC and it's also a great game, I'm already 80 hours in the game and I haven't completed Heaven or Hell yet (I just like to beat the palace over and over), excellent, fresh gameplay, even after 80 hours there's still room to improve my skill (I still can't get max acts every time). It's just great, another superb game that reminds me why I love gaming so much in the first place.

Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice - Might seem like an odd choice but Ace Attorney blends logic problems, humor and intriguing story-telling in a very nicely presented package, it has an amazing soundtrack and the cases are really well thought out. While not the best Ace Attorney game out there it's definitely good enough to be in my Top 3 of the year.

I doubt any of my games (except for MGS4) will appear in other users' lists but this year was very disappointing, a lot of good games but not many truly epic games, I chose those 3 games because they remind me of the way games used to be.

15. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Ahh, I forgot this was an '08. Quality game!

16. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

GTA 4 - Big time waister, well made, a lot of fun. GTA Race is a fun online mode even if the way you find a game/lobby to play in is horrendous.

Fallout 3 - Another big time waster, you can play it casually like GTA because its so open ended. I like it a lot more than Oblivion. Im only disappointed by the graphics, they could be a lot better.

FIFA 09 - One of the most addicting online games Ive played since Counter Strike and the best soccer game since PES4.

Ive been saving MGS4 for vacation but from the couple chapters Ive played its a very good game. I just dont have time to play an epic game with long scenes yet.

And I only play this at a friends house but Rock Band 2 with a full instrument set kicks ass.

17. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Correct for the console, but not for the PC. Also factor in the subject of this thread:
    List "YOUR" three best games of the year!

Technical it's semantics. I could have included pong if it were my favorite game this year. :) The subject was not specific to games released this year.

I played Fallout 3 for a few hours and plan to get back to it. It didn't pull me in like The Witcher -- which I bought the same week. I think it's the characters in F3 that bothered me, they feel artificial, where as in the Withcer the whole atmosphere has a a sense of realism and it hasn't let down. Supposedly the game can take up to 90 hours to complete. But from what I played of F3, I really stared to enjoy it. Mass Effect is good right now, because I've been wanting to play a good sci-fi RPG for years and there really hasn't been anything besides this that I know of.

18. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Well, LittleBigPlanet, MGS4, and... uhh.... it's hard to pick one more. So I devote that last spot to all those other great games I played this year :D.

19. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Little Big Planet

MGS4

Yakuza Kenzen!

Honorable mentions:
    Initial D Extreme Stage
    Tears to Tiara
    Fallout 3
    Valkyrie Chronicles

20. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Metal Gear Solid
    Little Big Planet
    Burnout Paradise

Those are my favorite games released this year. Although I got my PS3 is January and have been enjoying older titles like Oblivion and COD4.

21. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Oh, and my favorite PSN games are Pixel Junk Monsters (2008?), Super Stardust HD (2008?) and WipEout HD.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You've been chirping on about the Witcher so much so lately Jack, that I went and ordered a copy after finding it for €20 on the internet. I'm expecting great things ;)

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The Witcher Ultimate or something like that yes? Supposedly The Witcher (original recipe) was a piece of ****, and the Ultimate version fixed all the issues.

24. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I've only played 2 games this year on my Playstation 3... so they are my favorite. (I don't play console/computer games much at all)

Grand Theft Auto IV - Such an amazing game. I haven't finished it yet, but I love everything about it. My only wish would be to have parachutes.

NCAA Football 09 - I've always loved college football games, and this is the best one yet.

25. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I don't think Super Mario Galaxy was 2008, but it will be on my list as well, because I just got a Wii and played through it.

Dead Space
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Tomb Raider Underworld

Yeah, Tomb Raider is probably not the best game in a lot of people's mind's but those three are the last three I can remember that I played all the way through (though I still have a bunch of stuff to do in SMG even though I beat it).

I'm a little surprised at all of the LittleBigPlanets in this list. I gave into the hype and bought it and just haven't been near as impressed as I expected.