Listen to iTunes Shared Library using iPod Touch over wifi?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by knemonic, Mar 9, 2009.

1. knemonic macrumors 6502a

Hello,

Is there any other solution besides Simplify Media to access my iMac's shared iTunes library over my home's wifi on my iPod Touch. Basically I want to listen to my iTunes library stored on my iMac on my iPod touch. I have the component video/audio cable and want to use my iPod Touch as a wireless jukebox in my living room. I thought about the Airport Express, but I am trying not to spend any more money unfortunately.

Seems like this could be a simply thing for Apple to whip up since they already have the Remote app that allows you control other libraries, where all they need to do is send what is playing over the wifi to the iPod touch. Simplify Media is a good idea if you are not at home, but when on wifi, it is slow since it needs to access their servers first then go the iPod. Remote directly connects to your iTunes already, why not play it there too, I would think the iPod touch is just as powerful as the Airport Express?

I read Apple filed for a patent to stream music over 3G/Wifi, so they might be tackling this problem soon but it seems so simple if just using it over wifi for now. AT&T can work out their problems later.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Just been searching around for the same thing (why I've found this old post), but a good alternative is the Apple made free app, Remote. It doesn't find shared library's as such (to my knowledge), but it gets everything off my iTunes which I think is what you want.

3. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

I don't believe Remote actually plays music from off your library directly on to the iPod, I believe it is just a wifi remote to your library. I have been wondering if there's anything that will allow you to listen to your library over wifi on the ipod.

4. UniquelyAm macrumors newbie

I found this thread searching for the same thing.
    Would be nice if someone could come up with an app.

Is there anywhere to post app suggestions?

5. thefatmould macrumors member

I would suggest Remote with an airport express. Remote as control and airport express as the audio connections.

6. littledude8209 macrumors regular

7. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Lol good find, seems like a nice app. if it works as advertised it would be well worth $1.

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

It's your Mac that is putting up roadblocks. I installed Tversity on my PC and now access all my PC's music by simply putting it's IP address into safari.

9. janstett macrumors 65816

Resurrecting this thread for updated information after I found it on a google search. I loved simplify and missed it since google shut it down. AudioGalaxy is a good replacement. And I agree the apple remote app should allow iDevices as speakers, or iTunes on the iDevice should allow streaming from shared libraries.

10. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

use the Remote App and turn on home sharing.

with wireless speakers.

11. Queeek macrumors newbie

Google points here...

As others before, I found this thread searching Google, looking for the same thing as the OP.

In my kitchen I have one of these expensive portable soundsystems for my iPod touch. Plug in the iPod and it plays music. :) I can listen to music stored on the ipod. I can listen to music streamed via the web. But I cannot listen to the songs shared by iTunes on my Mac in the living room.

Buy an Airport Express for the kitchen? Sorry, but I have already a streaming device called iPod touch. And the whole point of portable ipod soundsystems is: portabilty.

Remote is an, err, remote. It doesn't play music.

I found various third party solutions that require a special server application on the Mac:

Rivet http://thelittleappfactory.com/rivet/
    Air Video http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/
    Airfoil http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/
    Airphones http://www.airphonesapp.com/

But, with iTunes' shared library there is already a server running on the Mac. So why add another?

Basically I want to turn my iPod touch and iPhone into an Airplay device. No, not a remote for an Airplay device, but an Airplay device in its own right.

Or you could think of it as "Airfoil Speakers Touch", but with direct access to iTunes' shared library.

My googleing skills are too limited to find such an app.

I can use iTunes on one Mac to listen to music shared by iTunes another Mac. But why can't i use iTunes (or another app) on an iPod Touch or iPhone to listen to the same library?

There must be a little app to fill this obvious gap. But where?

12. warhawk macrumors newbie

I would like to know too, but so far nothing i have found. Simplifymedia seemed to work, but its no longer available.

13. janstett, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

janstett macrumors 65816

Check out AudioGalaxy if you need a replacement for simplify

14. itoucher, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

itoucher macrumors newbie

... and in addition ...

So far I have been sitting back watching this thread anonymously, and waiting for information to magically appear regarding the original question posted. While there have been a variety of answers that have led me down many interesting paths, nothing has yet actually answered the question.

Here is my scenario that perhaps best explains the "but I don't want another server" messages that are also listed above:

Western Digital My Worldbook NAS (2TB):
    • Twonky Server (Video, Audio, Photo)
    • iTunes Server

With any of the computers I have on the network I can see the iTunes server from the iTunes client with no issues. I can access all of the songs individually or I can create playlists to my liking.

Within my family we have 3 iPod Touchs and 2 iPhones. I would like to be able to see / use the existing server which is currently NOT dependent on a computer, only my network in which my devices have WiFi access to.

The Question:
    Is anyone aware of a way to allow my WiFi devices (iPod Touch, iPhone) to see / use my iTunes Server?

15. revco macrumors newbie

16. Queeek macrumors newbie

17. Annhilater1985 macrumors newbie

Solution

what your looking for is an app called "air server" it basically turns your ipod into an airport express and kicks audio out the headphone jack to your stereo, its in the cydia store so it requires a jailbreak,

go to jailbreakme.com for the info

add source "http://cydia.xsellixe.com/" and its free under the xsellixe source othewise its like $1