Listen up! It IS possible to brick an iPod touch!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by TheSpaz, Mar 12, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The creator of iJailbreak has successfully completely BRICKED his iPod touch. I was just talking to him and he's tried every recovery method possible and believe me, he's no amature (he made iJailbreak) so I guess it IS possible to brick an iPod touch.

If anyone's curious how he did it, he was trying to do the dual-boot hack that the dev-team released earlier today.

http://iphone-dev.org/s5l8900:dualboot

I would suggest NOT trying the dual-boot hack. AriX cannot get his iPod touch to even boot at all.

I'm just warning people.

2. engles macrumors regular

but this wasnt through just standard jailbreaking correct?

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Correct but, everyone always says it's impossible to brick an iPod touch because it doesn't have a baseband.

Edit: http://twitter.com/arix

4. engles macrumors regular

ive heard that but I have told people it is virtually impossible to permanately brick your ipod touch by jailbreaking... great cause i thought i was misinforming people.

5. matthewroth macrumors member

ok, lets change the offial word

it IS possible to brick your touch, if you are trying to develop software to jailbreak other touches and you arse it up.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

this could well put people off jailbreaking, this brickign of iPod happend cause they messed up trying to dual boot 2 jailbreaks right?

normal jailbreaking = no brick why would you want to run two firmware versions on an iPod anyway? I bet its one of them look what I can do things lol

7. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

From the juys twitter link that was posted before.

8. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

NO. This still stands. He is a developer, and he screwed sompthing up trying to dual boot, if you stay within the confined of thing offered in the installer, and dont try and write your own code you WONT brick your touch.

I hope his comment dosent turn anyone off of jailbreaking...

9. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Why do you care so much? Are you profiting from people jailbreaking their iPods? :eek:

10. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

NO. I just hope it wont turn hopefulls away. you never know, that person who may have jailbroken, could have made sompthing awesome, but never did, becouse of one persons comments.

11. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Relax!

12. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I like the second part of your signature, PMB!

Sorry for being off-topic!

Anyway, risk of bricking never stopped me, I once hacked my PSP firmware and bricked it then sent it back to Sony and got a replacement :D

13. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

A followup on the bricking story:

and:

As The Spaz said earlier: http://twitter.com/arix

(Individual links to quotes here for the first, here for the second.)

That's not to say bricking isn't possible, just that it's been averted yet again.

Edit: just realized PowerFullMac posted this a bit earlier. My mistake.

14. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

[Joke]I AM! WANNA GO? :p :p :p [/Joke]

i got a 1 week ban for saying it in threads, and calling someone gay:eek: (they made a 1 page post saying "itouch")
    soooo i just put it in my sig.... havent got any flak for that.... yet (knocks on wood)

As to sendong the PSP back, thats funny...

and it looks like its still unbrickable

15. MunkyM3 macrumors newbie

I hear its impossible to brick an iPod Touch from a technical perspective, but for all intents and purposes, mine is "bricked."

It doesn't turn on, it doesn't get recognized by my Macbook Pro (on any user account), my girlfriends Powerbook, or my Windows machine. I've reinstalled the mobile packages on the computer and iTunes at least 4 times. I've checked all my USB ports, no luck. Everyone says "just put it in restore mode" but I can't... the power button/home button or any combination of the two does nothing to my iPod. All it has been for the last 4 days is an expensive paperweight.

I was just loading songs on to it, it crashed. I tried to restore and got a 1604 error, tried to fix it again and it stopped responding all together. How would one go about fixing it if you can't restore it via computer or via power/home button?

16. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Have you considered that you might have a defective iPod? Just because you can't brick an iPod just from messing with Software doesn't mean it can't brick itself from just being a bad iPod. I would take it back if it doesn't even turn on.

17. MunkyM3 macrumors newbie

I suppose it might be a bad iPod... but I have had it since Thanksgiving with no problems. The only reason I want to use the word "bricked" was because it only happened after I used Ziphone 2.5. It got stuck in the BSD loop, so I restored it. It worked for a day then finally croaked... I'm not quite sure what happened from a technical perspective. :/

18. solyd macrumors regular

If there's no response at all, I would attribute it to a bad iPod. Jailbreaking alters the iPod at the firmware level, so even if the jailbreak did corrupt the iPod, it should still have a response on the hardware level (e.g. backlight even if the screen is black).

P.S. It doesn't make a very good paperweight!

19. MunkyM3 macrumors newbie

Yeah, after I reinstalled the firmware, the backlight wasn't on... I could scarcely see the apple logo and "plug me in to iTunes" picture/logo. Well. That sucks, but at least I know what's wrong with it now... its good to know I didn't break it. My conscious is clear :D