Listening to 2 sets of speakers simultaneously

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gsusser, May 11, 2013.

1. gsusser macrumors regular

I have 2 sets of speakers, powered computer speakers with RCA outputs and for my home theater. Yesterday, I bought a new amplifier and changed the connection to the computer from optical to USB. I also have the computer speakers hooked up through USB. Since they're both hooked up via USB, they won't play at the same time.

If I got a splitter for the mic jack, would that work? In other words, would I also be able to play my home theater speakers at the same time I was using the computer speakers?

Thanks.

2. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

I dont know why you'd want that. however the splitter may not work as intended but if you have them hooked up to an AppleTV or AirPort Express you can simultaneously do that.

3. gsusser thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I'm not a rocket scientist with this stuff. The splitter didn't work.

My ignorance may be showing, but I'll ask this anyway. I already have a wi-fi router from Verizon FIOS. How is the setup going to work with an AirPort Express?

4. gsusser thread starter macrumors regular

I looked at the AirPort express and I don't think it's conducive to my setup. It only has 2 ethernet ports and I need 4. The Extreme doesn't have a mic input.

However, maybe I'm misunderstanding all this.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The AirPort Express can be used in addition to your existing router, it will just act as an access point. I'm not sure if it's the best solution since this should be achievable without additional hardware. See this guide, maybe it helps.

6. gsusser thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. The other solution looks great but beyond my capabilities. I'll probably take the expensive option and get the airport express.

7. palmharbor macrumors 6502

Y connector

For about two dollars, you can get a product that has a male end on one end and two female 3.5 mm jacks on the other end. Plug it into the headphone jack on the computer..plug in the two sets of speakers. Using USB does not provide enough power to give you good volume and bass, its the worse kind of speakers you can buy...usb is a very low source of power.

8. bryan85 macrumors regular

If they are both hooked up via USB, you should be able to create an aggregate device using the audio midi setup.

[​IMG]

9. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

the pure fact that they are USB means they will never be in sync when playing if you did get them hooked up.

10. gsusser thread starter macrumors regular

It's a couple of weeks later now and still no luck.

To reiterate what I want to do: listen to my home theater and computer speakers simultaneously. My home theater speakers are hooked up to the computer via USB - that is, the integrated amp has a DAC USB connection to the computer. The computer speaker setup is the one I need to change - it's hooked up with a Behringer Xenyx mixer which is connected to a USB splitter which goes to the computer.

The software solution that a couple of people mentioned is either beyond me or doesn't work. In any case, I could not get it to work. In addition, whatever device I get, I need to be able to control the volume on the computer speakers easily since the volume adjustment on the speakers is inconvenient.

I bought an AirPort Express and that didn't work. I could still only listen to one set of speakers at a time. I even called Apple support about it. Actually, I called them before I bought AE because I didn't understand the setup (which is actually very simple) and was told it would work. When I called back after buying AE, I was told that it would not work. I returned the AE.

I'm back to square one. I don't mind spending a little money if that would resolve my issue. If it helps, my speakers have RCA inputs and are about 5 years old. They're decent $100 (each) powered speakers, Alesis.