Listening to iPhone music through computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Arkangil, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Arkangil macrumors regular

I had an 5th gen iPod video synced with my PC at home. When I came to work, I plugged it into my PC, and listened to the music on the iPod through the computer with my earphones plugged into the computer, not the iPod.

I then replaced my home PC with a Mac, my first ever, and my iPod still synced, and I could still listen to it at work.

I just got an iPhone (It's true, the iPod is a gateway drug) and so at home it is synced with my Mac. Now, when I come to work and plug it into my PC, all the music, podcasts, etc. are all greyed out, and I cannot listen through the PC at work,

Any suggestions? Can this be done? It's a bit of a pain having to listen through the iPhone, and using it's controls.

Thanks all

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It does the same with me as well - I can listen to the music from my iPhone on the Mac that I sync with, but everything becomes greyed out when I connect it to other computers. My iPods, however, work fine. I think it's something that is either a bug that Apple hasn't fixed or they've disabled the function for some odd reason.

3. organsoup macrumors member

You can use SharePod on a PC to copy the music of a iPhone/iPod then re-import it into iTunes on another computer or whatever...

http://www.getsharepod.com

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

have you tried authorizing the computer? maybe this is the problem.