Listening to iTunes files on external hard drive without copying them to MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hailsbels, May 6, 2008.

1. hailsbels macrumors newbie

I've had a PowerBook for several years. A few months ago, I got an external hard drive and started using that to hold all of my music files and accessing them through iTunes. Today, I got my MacBook Pro and I can't figure out how to get my music files onto this computer to listen to, without actually transferring the files. I want to keep them on my external hard drive and listen to them on my new laptop. How can I do this? All the information I can find online is for if you are just putting your files onto the hard drive, but that's not what I need to do.

Thanks.

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Open your iTunes preferences and turn off the options "Keep iTunes Folder Organized" and "Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to library". From there, just drag your library of music to the iTunes window and let it import.

I do the same thing.

3. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

same here.
    well i used to.
    but once this semester is over, and get a new hdd i will again.
    i will have 3 external hdds so might as well use them.

o ya if your connection is usb or even fw400
    be prepared to wait a long long time.

i have an estata connection and it was still a while,

well if you have anything over 50gb

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I think the original poster wants to keep the files on the external and just listen through the computer, not move the music to the new computer.

If that is what you are asking, just hold down the option key when starting iTunes. It will ask you to choose a library. Choose the one on the external and you will be good to go. That will remain the default until and unless you manually choose a different library by again holding down the option key and starting iTunes.