Listening to music in the car? (iPhone)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by California King, May 25, 2010.

1. California King macrumors 65816

What's the best, inexpensive way to get the music on my iPhone to play through my car speakers? I was looking into bluetooth car decks like some cars come with, but they seem to be hard to find and not many available. Should I just get a car deck that has an AUX jack?

Also, how difficult is it to replace a car deck? I already have a custom 1 DIMM car deck in my car right now and would like to save some money by doing it myself. Plus, it seems a little silly paying Best Buy $50 to install something that would literally take them minutes to do. :)

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes.

Difficulty varies depending on the car and the unit being replaced, but generally it's not that tough.

3. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Most 1-DIN decks have either the aux plug on the face, or a cable on the harness. You can also buy an adapter for your stock radio (most newer cars).

Personally, I'd stay away from FM tuners and Bluetooth devices. You won't be happy with them.

4. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

My car came with an aux jack. I don't know how I would live without it.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Forget aux, forget those FM streamer things and get yourself a car stereo head unit that has an iPod dock cable on it. Just like cars that come from the factory with an iPod cable, this allows you to play and control the music using the car stereo (and buttons on the steering wheel if your car has them) and it will also charge the phone at the same time, all from one cable.

I previously owned a Sony unit that worked with my iPhone and iPhone 3G. I routed the cable into the glovebox and then all I needed to do was connect my phone to the cable and I could control it using the buttons on the front of the stereo. It was easy to navigate playlists, artists etc in just the same way as they are laid out on the phone.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/ica-in-car-usb-and-made-for-ipod

Replacing a DIN unit with another one is extremely easy to do. Usually it is just one or two cables that need swapped. The new unit will come with all the fixings you need to hold it in place in the car.