Listing numbers as "iPhone"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevintech, Feb 17, 2011.

1. kevintech macrumors 6502

Is there any real benefit to listing a number under the iPhone field for a contact?If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm talking about instead of listing it as home, mobile or fax, there's a field for iPhone.

All I've discovered is that it lists it as iPhone when receiving calls, voicemails and that's it.

Is there more of a function than just a label? I've searched and found nothing, please direct me to the right thread if there is one.

2. huskerchad macrumors regular

I don't know of one. Maybe facetime defaults to that number if it finds one?

3. Saberon macrumors 6502a

4. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Yes, because if you use voice dialing you will have to specify either "mobile" or "iPhone" depending on how you've listed the number.

5. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I think it does cause problems if you sync with Google. I believe your contacts will end up on Google without phone numbers on them.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I guess it helps you remember who has an iPhone so you can use FaceTime.

7. himesh macrumors regular

Its for if you have more than one contact for voice dialling. It will prompt you which number you want to dial.

8. centavar macrumors member

Not true,it syncs as it should.

9. aldo82 macrumors regular

Google doesn't have an 'iphone' contact type so when you set google up using exchange you no longer get this choice. I had lots of problems exporting my Address Book contacts (from the mac) to google so I could start using Exchange. Lots of contacts numbers were dropped, not sure if these were the 'iphone' ones though