lists, to-dos + calendar; blackberry<-->mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shecky, Jul 10, 2007.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

i am a listmaker for organization; i like lists of tasks with sublists, etc. i also use iCal and/or google calendar to organize myself as well in terms of dates. i also have a blackberry. i am trying to figure out how to do the following, which may not even be doable today:

what i want to do is have a way to sync all this stuff (to-do lists, calendar items and snippets of information) across my mac and my blackberry, over the internet/cell network (as opposed to cables) and have it available to me offline and backed up somehow.

so, i have seen/used/been made aware of a few things. Backpack sort of sounds like it will work in that its got a calendar function and the lists/to-dos. the thing i am worried about is not being able to make a backup and only being able to access it online. i know that i can get Packrat for use on my Mac for offline viewing, but that does nothing for when my blackberry is not online (or the tmobile EDGE network is particularly sluggish.) Packrat does sound like it can take care of backing up Backpack.

i am aware of GCALSYNC which in theory will allow me to sync my blackberry calendar app to my google calendars. the issue is that is all it syncs (no to-do lists), and it works badly at best, not at all at worst.

any other ideas here? i want to be able to get at all my information from anywhere, anytime and have it all sync up without dealing with The Missing Sync and cables and whatnot - if i update stuff on my blackberry i want it to instantly/near instantly update whatever web app (or whatever app) so the info is right there if i look at it on my mac. i feel like there is a lot of stuff that almost, but not quite does this. i am wondering if anyone has any ideas.

i should mention that i have only had the blackberry for a few months, so if there is some existing functionality that i am not aware of i would not be surprised. i do not mind paying a reasonable fee for what i am trying to do, and if it helps i do own web-space that i can put information onto.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Did you check to see if OS X's built-in syncing program, iSync, supports your phone? I can sync contacts and calendars to my Motorola e815 over Bluetooth using iSync.

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

4. tehybrid macrumors member

check out missing sync5 for the blackberry
    i use iGTD and it syncs with iCal which syncs with my (i)phone. listingly.com is a nice list app i also use omnioutliner but it doesnt sync

5. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

almost but not quite, as i mentioned in my original post :)

isync does not really work but The Missing Sync does. however that involves cables and non-realtime syncronization of all my stuff which is really what i am after. i add a task on my blackberry, and later that night when i look at my task lists on my mac, it is there, automatically updated without having to remember to plug in the cable and do a sync.

6. tehybrid macrumors member

okay if you want it automated itll take a tad bit of hacking but get HomeZone and it will search for your phone and whenever you enter the 30ft bluetooth range itll do rules you set it up and you can set it up to run missing sync when it finds your phone

7. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

this is interesting, but a blackberry will not sync over bluetooth on OS X (only thru a cable); nor does it help me make live updates when i do not have my BB and my mac next to each other.

i think the solution is some web app or combination of web apps i just do not know if they exist yet :(

8. tehybrid macrumors member

well at this point all i can suggest is himachiX if you can be at another computer, other wise, rubyonrails.com or php5.net only you can make it the way you want it

9. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky

thats exactly what i am worried about :(