Little advice from 15'' and 17'' MBP users

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parajba, Mar 7, 2010.

1. parajba macrumors 6502

Hi everybody,

while we are all waiting for the new MBP (well, at least I am...:rolleyes:), I have a little question for you, users of current MBP 15 and 17.

Given my typical usage is internet (99% of time), a bit of music (iTunes), pictures (iPhoto), Handbrake, occasional Excel/Word, and given that I don't travel (I use the mac on my laps in the tv room), do you think the 17'' would be too heavy and hot on my laps?

At the moment I have a 13'' white (2008) mac book, and it's light enough and it doesn't heat too much, I can keep it on my laps for hours without discomfort.

My preference goes to the 17 for the gorgeous screen...but will it be uncomfy as too heavy or hot? I will not use it on a desk so this point is key for me.

Thanks

2. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

The mass of the 15" is distributed very evenly and it will be comfortable on your lap. The weight difference is minimal.

I can't tell you about the 17 though.

3. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I used a 17" for a short while, and I definitely was pleased with my 15" over my old 13" after I received it, with no second thoughts on the 17". It's not the heat or weight- neither are going to be a serious issue for the 17", but the size of it on your lap. Maybe its because the 15" fits so perfectly on my lap that its a joy to work with, but the 17" just hung off the edge of my legs all the time. I felt more restrained by it... its definitely something you should try to feel if you have a friend with a 17". I wholeheartedly recommend the 15", as I feel its the perfect size for notebooks, but if you really want the real estate a 17" provides, go for it instead. That's really the big difference and the reason to jump to the 17" at the moment: the screen.

4. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

+1
    I used to use the 17" MBP myself on the lap and in my opinion it was too big for work on in my lap. Heat is not my issue that time, size is. So, I sold my 17" and switch to 15" with antiglare and I couldn't be happier!

5. JosX macrumors regular

I would say the 17" is more designed for use as a portable desktop replacement, it's really to big to have comfortably on your lap, unlike the 15" which is perfect, heat is pretty good, although I use one of those beanbag things with a surface on top for extra grip, also keeps things cooler, perfect size for a 15".

[​IMG]