Little apps and widgets you're in love with

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Magritte, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Magritte macrumors member

What are some little helpful programs you started using and now can't live without?

I have two currently that I really enjoy. One is Dockstar (http://www.ecamm.com/mac/dockstar/) for Mail. I have a couple of mailboxes that are not part of the Inbox, so it's great to be able to see that there's new mail there. Plus the application is cute, very customizable, comes with a widget, and is only $8 for the full version.

The other is MainMenu (http://www.santasw.com/). I love being able to repair permissions from the menu bar, as well as dozens of other maintenance tasks.

NOTE: I am not affiliated in any way with either of these companies, I just really enjoy their products.

Any you'd like to share?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've always found menumeters quite handy to quickly see how much RAM I'm using, how much load the processors under, etc. I also like iStat pro, it's more detailed than menumeters, but it's a widget so you have to open Dashboard.

3. phanboyjohn macrumors member

"Little" is relative, but there's nothing better for backing up your DVD's than Handbrake. Man oh man what a fantastic piece of software.

Also, Burn for Mac is unspeakably awesome. It can take a video file and burn that to a DVD playable in a DVD player. Doing that on Windows (at least, to my knowledge) is a multistep process, and very little fun.

4. Magritte thread starter macrumors member

Well. Sorry.

*slinks off to play with DockStar*

5. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

No need to apologize. Just said so because you might want to take the time to search for them. :)

6. Magritte thread starter macrumors member

Wasn't really searching, mostly wanted to promote these two apps and thought I'd see if anyone else felt like joining in. I do spend a lot of time searching on these forums before I post if I'm looking for a specific answer. Thanks though.

7. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Witch is something I would strongly recommend, it's an improvement both over apple-tab and microsofts' alt-tab. Honestly, such an oversight that the default behavior doesn't separate windows out.