Little Big Planet - released early?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

There was a news item on ps3fanboy about an email from Sony that surfaced, saying the US release date was October 7th. Now the article is gone (was pulled?), no explanation.

Conspiracy theories?

:confused:

2. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Ya I got that email. The thing is it CAN'T be true. The beta doesn't end until October 11th! Unless they will let the beta be out when the game is. That doesn't make much sense :D.

I'm still waiting from GameSpot for one possible invite. They sure are slow :(.

[​IMG]

3. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

What confuses me a little is how the post on ps3fanboy just suddenly disappeared without a trace. No "Update: False Alarm!" or anything, just completely gone.

4. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

That would be sweet. But I'm too busy with WipEout right now. :D

5. evan g macrumors regular

I'm thinking you shouldn't worry about it and just enjoy LBP when it comes out! ;)

6. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Can't wait for this game. Already pre-ordered it from Amazon (together with The Godfather on Blu-Ray. They're released within days of each other).

It's a shame Sony messed up with the Beta, though. Not enough keys available, different sites with different promotions. Typical Sony. They should rethink their strategy. Here's what I would do:

- Beta area in the PS Store and Home (off by default. Turn on in acct management)
    - Anyone can download the Beta. Only some will be activated for feedback, as needed.

What does this allow?
    - Centralised marketing of hot upcoming titles for which betas are available
    - Give customers a super-early chance to play a demo
    - In Home, allow beta users to meet up and discuss experiences, suggest ideas - maybe create a suggestion board where other users rate items up and down.
    - Can activate feedback reporting as needed. Can filter specific console revisions or demographics for more targeted feedback. Instantly. A central server toggles feedback on or off as required. Only for beta software, and you must consent to this before enabling the beta area.

7. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Haha true. The PS3 is really looking good these days.

Is there a thread for ID exchanges? I have no friends...

8. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

"Not enough beta keys available"? Do you understand what the beta testing phase is? It is most certainly not a public demo event where anyone who is interested can join in and try the game. (Hint: That's what demos are for.) My guess is they released EXACTLY as many beta codes as they wanted/needed for this testing phase. I'm sorry, but the sheer fact that they are even releasing beta keys to the public like this is pretty amazing to me. Other companies test behind closed doors with their in-house QA department test team. We are not entitled to ANYTHING in this regard.

9. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

No, lots of companies do public product testing. I used to test Microsoft's products out for ages. I tested XP (when it was "Whistler"), Vista ("Longhorn"), Server 2003 R2, Office 2007...etc. I was an Apple product tester for a while, as well. It's easy - I'm going to be using the products at home anyway, so why not use them and give the occasional rant to the makers? It's by no means rare.

It would be better if Sony used the beta as a demo opportunity. If they did, and activated copies for feedback as/if needed, they could get a variable flow of feedback. Think it's crashing a lot for 60Gb PS3s? Activate feedback for all of them, see if it's a real trend. Think the target demographic hasn't been properly catered for? Activate those people for feedback, and see what they say. Getting overloaded with feedback? Deactivate copies from people you don't need feedback from.

It would also allow Sony to better gauge reaction to the game, allowing them to concentrate their marketing resources where it matters.