Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cathy88

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
This is a 2 days old Macbook Pro 15", everything is fine except this one thing that kills me.

On the edge of the track pad the aluminium casing have little chip off or dent as shown in the picture?

Is this acceptable quaility? Should I return it for replacement?

Attachments

• DSC00517.jpg
    DSC00517.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 1,238

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I can't even see it.

err.. wait.. I clicked the full version on my 23" and NOW I see it......

Man I'd hate to be the guy that sold you anything. XD

cathy88

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
I can't even see it.

err.. wait.. I clicked the full version on my 23" and NOW I see it......

Man I'd hate to be the guy that sold you anything. XD

So you would just leave it as it is?

It looks small in the photo but in real life quite bad.

From where I sit its so obvious and its killing me now that I know its there.

Im in New Zealand and I got this for $2789NZD which is consider to be expensive for 15" laptop, but I know its Apple so year.

Still spending $2789 dollars I expect something to be perfect am I wrong? Am I being too picky?

alskdj

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2009
lol, you're on GP right?

Anyways, comparing the size of the dents with the size of the keyboard indent thingy, makes it seem really insignificant. Can you even notice it when using the laptop? I personally wouldn't bother returning it, but if you want it to be perfect, and you have every right to do so, go ahead and return it. Just curious, $2789, how'd you get that price?

cathy88

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
lol, you're on GP right?

Anyways, comparing the size of the dents with the size of the keyboard indent thingy, makes it seem really insignificant. Can you even notice it when using the laptop? I personally wouldn't bother returning it, but if you want it to be perfect, and you have every right to do so, go ahead and return it. Just curious, $2789, how'd you get that price?

DSE had 10% off on all apple product. Then I went to Noel Leeming and asked for a price match to get flybuy points. This was cheaper then educational price.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I blew it up on my 30" ACD and it was not even that easy to find. Even color corrected the yellow hue and still it was difficult to find. How the f do you people find these things?

I would keep it.

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
What the OP is experiencing is quite normal actually. Almost all of us will be paranoid over something small of it cost a lot of money. I bet if ppl who are telling him to quit complaining will do the same if their brand new $2000+ laptop had a deform. I bet no one would buy a scratched car

To the op, I understand how you feel, we all want our products to be perfect, especially if its new. I would say if it's bothering you while you use the trackpad, then take it in and see what they say.
It doesn't hurt to ask, and if you don't ask you will never know
if you will worry about that thing everytime you use the laptop then I would say take it in and see what they say, or call them up

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
This is a 2 days old Macbook Pro 15", everything is fine except this one thing that kills me.

On the edge of the track pad the aluminium casing have little chip off or dent as shown in the picture?

Yes, return it immediately.

No matter how big or small the defect, it's still a defect. We all pay a high price for what Apple claims is the finest laptop. So you deserve to get one that satifies you. Even if that means returning a few till you get a good one.

I went through this with cosmetic faults on my mid 2009 MBP last year. Apple was happy to exchange it three times till I got a good one. Nor did they charge me the restocking fee. It's customers like us that help Apple keep as eye on their quality control isses. Without our help they would not realize what
they are shipping.

Cheers... :)

quality is beinbgq

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Holy crap that's small!

I would keep it and not worry about it, but if it really annoys you that much, just bring it in and get a replacement.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I'm sorry, perfection doesn't happen.

And that is so small I had to guess at I was looking at the right thing (only when I expanded the picture and then made it full size. And I think I see what you are talking about).

You're not going to be happy with any computer they give you if you are going to be *that* picky. You'll always find something wrong if you are going to that detail of wanting perfection.

And even if you get lucky and find one that isn't, eventually you are going to scratch it a lot worse than that little itty bitty dent. Or are you planning on not using it?

xpected_one

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Texas
What the OP is experiencing is quite normal actually. Almost all of us will be paranoid over something small of it cost a lot of money. I bet if ppl who are telling him to quit complaining will do the same if their brand new $2000+ laptop had a deform. I bet no one would buy a scratched car

To the op, I understand how you feel, we all want our products to be perfect, especially if its new. I would say if it's bothering you while you use the trackpad, then take it in and see what they say.
It doesn't hurt to ask, and if you don't ask you will never know
if you will worry about that thing everytime you use the laptop then I would say take it in and see what they say, or call them up

Comparing a (on average) 20K car to a 2K laptop doesn't make much sense to me. That and IF you were at a dealership and wanted a car that had a scratch, more than likely it could be repaired without giving you a brand new car. IE: buffed out... I think to want a completely new laptop for such a small problem is asking too much. I do believe Apple prides themselves on quality products, and they surely are not the cheapest by any means. But this is getting to be nit picky. IMO

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm pretty anal with my computers and such and OCD drives my wife up a wall, BUT, I cannot see any chip, no knick nothing. Sorry if its so small that most of us cannot see. I'd say relax and enjoy your computer.

LedCop

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
I actually noticed TWO imperfections and was wondering which one you were referring to. :eek:

Hmm, you mentioned that everything else is fine so if you do get a replacement are you prepared to have something else not be fine?

I've come across keyboards with some function keys not perfectly horizontal and even worse, screens whose flaws are glaringly obvious. Those would bother me much more than the machining imperfection you showed, judging from its size. I'm not sure about you though.

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009

Exchange it. It's a major purchase, and you don't want to spend the next however-many years looking at something that irritates you when you could have had it swapped out. Some people might not be bothered by it, but you are -- there's no need to make any value judgments on one type vs. the other.

Besides, we need to hurry up and get some of these into the refurb listings on the Apple store. :)

cathy88

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Came back from the store.
Got a replacement. The sellers (2 old women) were happy about it and totally
understands my point of spending something as this much, I should be getting something perfect.

However the guy they told to get me the new one wasn't so nice. Had this **** face look. But he was ordered to do so anyway.

The final story is that I got my new Macbook Pro and this time I checked in store before I leave.

Looked for scratches on the screen, chip of of aluminium body, dead pixels and anything else externally visible. Have used for 2 days now nothing has been wrong yet, so far perfect.

So here is what happened to my purchase this week.

1 st Macbook had some scratch under the glass area of the screen bottom left corner. It was obvious that I couldnt have done it because the scratch was under the surface.

2nd Macbook had poor aluminium casing atleast to me.

3rd Macbook is perfect so far, or should I say I have not found anything that makes me think its inperfect.

Thank you for the people who gave me courage to go back into the store and understand how I felt.

To the people who say I will get laughed you might be right, but I think you guys are just too rich.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
2nd Macbook had poor aluminium casing atleast to me
Whatever do you mean?

Aiya, you are bound to inflict an "imperfection" yourself sooner or later. Be it a chip, a scratch, or a huge dent. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.