Little dents

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Superman041, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Superman041, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

Superman041 macrumors regular

rMBP, is there anyway of reducing these little dents. I just found a small one above the F3 button. Apple say do not use keyboard covers http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4384 . Also, out of interest, if I did want to replace the bottom half (not just the cover), how much would Apple charge?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

No I have not been.

4. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

I don't mean this to sound mean but I cannot think of any other way of saying it.

Not damaging it is how you reduce the dents. Exterior dents can be expected over time, but how are you damaging the palm rest? Did you drop something on it while it was open?

Just be more careful.

5. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

It's a very tiny speck above the F3 button, it annoys me as i'm extremely careful.

6. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

How did this dent occur?

One of my apple keyboards came with a nice little dent in the edge of one of the holes machined out for the keys.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

That is new to me. I still have keyboard cover (ultra thin skin) and it never hurt screen when I closed the lid. I think my Speck SeeThru case with clips protect from lid close tightly? :apple:

8. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

How can exterior dents be expected over time? I've owned a MBP since 2006 (and I upgrade every year) and I have never had a dent, a scratch, or a spill. I don't use a cover or any kind of body protection and it goes everywhere with me. I do use a Booq saddle bag to keep all my stuff though.

Good grief people, get a notebook bag and use a little common sense.

-P

9. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

Aluminium is soft and accidents happen, it may be great for structural rigidity but it cannot absorb force like plastic can.

Back in 2010 I had the strap of my napsack break while moving seats on a bus. My Unibody macbook was in a speck hardshell, inside a laptop sleeve, and of course inside my napsack, and the 1.5 foot drop still managed to dent the side.

****** happens.

10. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You've been very careful but also lucky, you need both to maintain a pristine MBP outer given enough time....just as with anything else.

11. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

It just seems the build quality on the outer edges of the rMBP isn't as sturdy as it should be. Very prone to these specks/dents. If you go over it with a light shining, (I have OCD) then you can see it picks it up easier than expected.