Little help please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hing, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Hing macrumors regular

Should i buy i5 imac for 2k or get i7 dell xps for $1200? Will imac i5 be faster than i7 dell? I order i5 imac already but just saw the good deal on dell, plz help me out.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The Dell will most likely be faster. If you don't want OSX and/or a slim form-factor, why did you buy the iMac?

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The i7 will be faster, although with the iMac you get the 27" screen included. So you would want to factor that into your comparison. But if you can justify the extra cash and want a Mac, go with the iMac, if the savings are too great with the Dell, go with the Dell. (Also, consider that the iMac will hold its value much better when it comes time to sell it, so it make up some of the difference in value at that time.)

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Next time you can help us by making your thread title more descriptive ;)

The i7 will very most likely have more RAW power, but remember OS X is lighter and can utilize that power better. In a real world scenario I can't tell you which will perform better except that OS X crashes/hangs less and is cleaner and smoother. That's all the input I have, I can't decide for you and I haven't tried both side by side.

5. Hing thread starter macrumors regular

So i5 on osx is faster than i7 on window 7?

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Depends on what you are doing.

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I can't say that, and factually it would be stupid to do so without comparing with real world tests.

However OS X in my experiences is always smoother and more reliable on equal hardware. And the interface is cleaner but it's all personal preference.

8. panthro macrumors newbie

Maybe not as fast, but....

You will have the MacOSX experience without Hackintosh the machine (not guaranteed whatsoever)
    -You can run Windows or any other SO via Boot Camp or another solution (VMWare, Parallels...warning with Windows 7!)
    -I assume you are a Mac user, so, you have a custom trend here...again, the Mac experience:cool: