Little Help re: Drive Enclosure

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mario24601, Feb 16, 2012.

1. mario24601 macrumors regular

I have searched and asked OWC also but can't seem to find the right answer.

I am looking for a drive enclosure (2-4 bays) with firewire 800 but I want a enclosure that allows each drive to show as a independent drive when accessing via iMac, a enclosure where each physical disks is read as independent hard drive in a single housing.

Any recommendations? Would really appreciate your help, thanks.

2. seandavid010 macrumors newbie

This might help:

Icy Dock dual-bay FW800 Enclosure

Looks like it fits the bill, and you can set it for RAID 1 or RAID 0, or set it to see the two drives separately.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. kirsch92 macrumors member

I think that one supports only Raid 0,1 and span.
    Vantec makes a FW800 2 disk JBOD enclosure, but it's kind of ugly. Newegg has it.

You can find FW800 in both 2 and 4 disk JBOD enclosures that do RAID as well as JBOD under the name Stardom, Raidon and Sans Digital, though they all seem to be the same unit. Newegg used to have them, and OWC has some versions if you search the site, but maybe not the JBOD version.

Here is the Stardom site.

These are very nice enclosures, all aluminum. Fans are noisy, though the newer ones say they have temp controlled fans. I have a Sans Digital version.

Might have to dig around to find a place to buy one, I think they are getting rarer. Good luck.