Little help with the M A S uninstall thing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BornToMac, Jan 8, 2011.

1. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

What is the best way to manage downloaded apps on your Mac? I used AppZapper (which is really good btw) and thought nothing of it. However, I went and tried to redownload an app I had previously installed and I am not allowed. It is showing as installed (purchased) but it has since been removed and there is no way to reinstall it. Am I missing something?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

3. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

4. 0815 macrumors 68000

Macs are sometimes 'too smart' when it comes to moving files. Many applications 'know' when a file has moved and access it than from the new location. This includes the Trash (which is just another folder).

I had the problem with Photoshop - I moved a file that was open in photoshop to the trash and than tried to save my (modifications) not realizing that it didn't save it to the original location but instead to the trash

Bottom line: try to empty the trash, make sure all the prefs are deleted (AppZapper should take care of that - I love that tool) and try again.

5. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

Got it.... thanks. Hopefully OSX Lion will improve on how apps are managed (I don't like how they downloaded apps are automatically placed on your dock).

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Why is that such a big deal? It takes .0000005 seconds to just drag it off. You have to think about more than just yourself. There are many users (those not so experienced, maybe casual "Ma and Pa" users) who appreciate seeing where their applications go. I see no need to complain about that feature. Just remove it from your dock.

Also, was emptying the trash the solution?

7. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. However, it would be nice to be able to turn it off in a settings panel somewhere. Just annoying that's all.

Actually, I looked in the trash and the app was still in there. I just removed it and re-installed it.