Little help with WiFi Synching please....

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xkj1985x, Nov 5, 2011.

1. xkj1985x macrumors newbie

Greetings, first post here and I need a little bit of help. I got my first iPhone when the 4s was released and love it but seem to be struggling a bit with this WiFi synching....

I understand how to activate it and disable it but my question is, is there a way to customize what it syncs and what it does not?

When I have it set up to sync, it tries to sync my whole library of music, apps, photos and videos.

Problem is, I have well over 100GB of media and only 16GB of space on my phone. That's where my problem lies....

Is there way to set it up to it only syncs new items added into iTunes and such or am I just not a good candidate for using this feature?

Appreciate all the help.....

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You must be new to itunes. Launch Itunes click on the phone under devices
    Go to the top of the menu screen and select music uncheck the box that says
    sync entire music library and check the one that says sync selected playlist etc.

Then drop down to Artist and select the ones you want to sync.

3. xkj1985x thread starter macrumors newbie

Yah, thanks.

As I said, this is my first iPhone and with the WiFi synching thing being a new feature, I wasn't sure if there was another way to do it but thanks for the help.

4. soonadog macrumors member

Another helpful hint - BEFORE you plug in your iPhone or other device, go to iTunes preferences > devices and check the box for "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically."

Then when you plug in your device it won't start syncing, giving you time to set all your choices first. For instance, I really messed up by allowing it to sync all my contacts, which dumped a huge amount of email address contacts that I didn't want on my phone - random business things and such. So I don't sync contacts, and I only sync certain playlists but not my entire music library. in fact, you might even make playlists as a way to specify what music you want on your phone