Little inconsistencies like this annoy me

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by MasterHowl, Jan 17, 2013.

1. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

This is really really pedantic, but...

Why does one say "to Sun 17:00" and one "thru 20 Jan"?! Why can't they both say "to Sun 17:00"?

iOS Notification Centre (iCal)
    [​IMG]

ML Notification Centre (iCal)
    [​IMG]

As I say, pedantic, but it seems like Apple really need to get some consistency between iOS and OS X (and some consistency between the UI of their stock apps too...)

2. el-John-o macrumors 65816

One thing Apple does when they build products the way they do is they really, really set the bar high. Little things like that bug me too, not a lot, but kind of make me scratch my head. Apple does such a good job integrating things that you kind of forget they are two separate things and just expect them to be identical and seamlessly integrated.

It's worth sending feedback to Apple. They DO look at that stuff you know. I remember Steve Jobs mentioning that Apple had looked at all 75,000+ feedback submissions for the OS X beta a decade or so ago!

3. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I'll send a feedback.

I know what you mean about the bar being set very high. It's just the little things they sometimes miss...

4. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Sigh. Did you seriously just make a thread about this?

5. santacruzer macrumors newbie

Is the one that says thru 20 Jan set as an all day event?

6. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

No, it finishes at 17:00

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Did you seriously just make a comment that added nothing to the discussion outside of putting down the OP? I'd much rather read numerous threads about issues that don't pertain to me than useless and snarky comments such as yours.

For me, there are far more and greater inconsistencies that annoy me... the new colored status bar that even Apple couldn't be bothered to change in half their apps, the two different volume sliders (at least this should be fixed in 6.1), how the bulk of Apple's apps look and act completely different from one another with little uniformity, or how some features and options change depending on how you access something (camera springs to mind).

But then, I'd gladly take these and any other inconsistencies if everything else would actually work as promised.

8. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Why not? So it doesn't concern you, it doesn't REALLY concern me either (but I'm always up for a good discussion.) Who cares? We all have pet peeves that bother us but don't bother most others.

9. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Thank you for saying this. Kind of felt like an idiot after that comment... this form has become so hostile lately!

Anyway, yeah.

I completely agree. It's annoying... the hardware is all consistent. My iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro just all look like they've been made with the same design philosophies in mind... it looks totally consistent. The apps on them however...

It's one thing the apps different across different devices (iCal is like a different app on my iPhone than on my iPad and Mac...), but it's even more annoying having apps within a single device not "following the same rules".

Maybe Ive will sort this out in iOS 7? Or maybe iOS 8 at a push? He's been in charge of hardware up until now and they're all consistent, so perhaps he'll do the same with the software too.

10. el-John-o macrumors 65816

There are a lot of threads that make me scratch my head. There are a lot of 'poop don't stink' Apple owners out there. But, it's because MacRumors is a diverse group of people. In theory, the magic of an internet forum is that if there is a thread that is not relevant to you, you have nothing to contribute to or learn from, or doesn't interest you, you move on to the next one. Why people take time out of their day to tell other people they disapprove of the content of their threads is beyond me.

Oh well!

Maybe. I never like to play the 'so-and-so will do this' or the (much worse) 'Steve jobs would/would not have' game. Apple does things nobody else does, they are very unpredictable. Remember how they would never have a 7" tablet, make an iMac where the 'computer' is BEHIND and LCD screen, switch to Intel processors, or develop iTunes on Windows? These were all things that either A) Apple senior executives, notably Steve Jobs said and/or B) Were continued topics of discussion on Apple related forums with people saying Apple/Steve Jobs/Jony Ive/etc., would NEVER... (fill in the blank)

I mean just a couple years before the Intel switch Steve Jobs stood on the WWDC stages and aired an anti-intel parody ad, compared numbers to show how good the G4 was, and explained why Intel was on a downward path with the AWFUL Pentium 4. Guess what chip was in the first shipping Intel Macs? Apple sold developers Pentium 4 equipped Power Macs (soon to be re-named Mac Pro's) so they could start developing Intel based software! When the G4 iMac was released (the 'lamp' looking one), Steve talked about how putting the computer on the back of the LCD screen was stupid because it looked bad and the components weren't made to work like that. But guess what, things change! AIM hit a roadblock with developing the latest PowerPC chips, and Intel suddenly had a much better roadmap, and Apple realized it was important to switch NOW before Intel really passes them and they lose market share. And, technology changed and improved and made it very possible to make an iMac with the computer globbed on the back, and they even figured out how to make it very attractive!

I've been a fan of / consumer of Apple since the early 90's, so I've made enough predictions to know you can't predict Apple! LOL

However, I agree, his track record shows an attention to detail and attention to consistency. However, his expertise IS in hardware engineering. Being in charge doesn't necessarily mean much, as he may simply delegate those sorts of things. Steve Wozniak for example, in his short time with Apple before his plane crash, basically delegated everything in kind of a "Yeah do whatever you want to do" sort of way while he worked on his own projects, and if those projects were good enough, the theory was they would make it up the ladder and be badged an Apple product! From what I've read, I get the impression Jony Ive works in much the same way. I could most certainly be wrong, but, I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a lot of changes to software in the next couple of years.

OR, perhaps the now departing software chief was stifling great ideas from the engineers and we'll see a floodgate of awesome things? That's basically what happened in ~96-00+ when Apple went from nearly bankrupt to a sensation. At least, according to Steve Jobs when he was interviewed about such. He says the ideas were there, it was just shot down by the big wigs. They wanted to maintain the status quo, not jump out with products nobody had seen before. That's scary, after all, as it could be a total BUST. At least you pretty much know how well a new 'performa' or beige Power Mac is gonna sell.. Whether or not a transluscent blue consumer grade all-in-one 'iMac' is gonna sell is anyones guess! But, ultimately, the ideas won in the end. Apple is structured in such a way that the engineers have a ton of clout in getting things up the ladder into the supply chain, perhaps one of the reasons for his departure was being a bit of a blockage in that flow of ideas?

11. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I think these little inconsistencies between OS X and iOS will diminish greatly after the management changes.

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Hopefully... although the last manager didn't seem to mind the inconsistencies between them - or even the ones within iOS itself.