Little issue with OS X 10.9.4 & Win 8.1 Pro on 2011 iMac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iMAK79, Jul 28, 2014.

1. iMAK79, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

iMAK79 macrumors newbie

OK guys here is my story and hope to get some responses.

Previously I have installed 64bit Win 8 successfully through bootcamp and everything was smooth, due to not being able to update the Win 8 to 8.1 I was forced to remove it and install Win 8.1 from scratch.

When I was on Win 8 and if I restart the PC, it was restarting to Win 8 by default, unless I had to press the alt key if I ever wanted to boot to OSX or from the bootcamp option selecting restart to OSX.

This is not happening with Win 8.1, but I will tell you how I installed Win 8.1.

Installation of Win 8.1 through bootcamp was not possible I was getting this error during the installation

[​IMG]

After searching the internet I found a solution to install Win 8.1 without bootcamp. I forgot the site but here are the steps:

1. Create a free space from Disk Utility with the desired size.
    2. Burn Win 8.1 on a flash drive.
    3. reboot the PC and chose EFI boot to boot Win 8.1 installation. From there, format the free space drive and install Win 8.1 from the formatted drive.
    4. Install bootcamp drivers.

The installation was done successfully. But the issue with this installation is, when I am on Win and if I restart the computer it will boot to Mac and every time I restart I have to press alt key to bring up the boot options

[​IMG]

Do you know how to avoid this? Any solutions.

Thanks in advance.

2. iMAK79 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Can you burn Win 8.1. to a flash drive using OSX? Or do you need a Windows machine to do it?

4. freeuser macrumors regular

boot your Mac partition

system settings, and choose your Win8, don't works?

5. iMAK79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I can burn Win 8.1 to a flash drive from OSX boot camp.

6. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

So, upon trying to use Bootcamp, you are prompted if you'd like to burn Win 8.1? Do you need an activation code before you start the procedure? And burning a Win 8.1 install is a feature native to Bootcamp?

Appreciate the answers to these questions, because it's been a while since I've done Bootcamp, the instructions aren't clear, and I've been reading a lot of problems concerning 8.0 vs. 8.1 activation. I have a code for 8.0, not for 8.1., so I'm wondering if I can simply launch Bootcamp, partition, and have every step of the Windows install process be taken care of by Bootcamp (instead of, say, having to purchase something from the Microsoft Store, which I hate).