Little poll about Storage in this days

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by umbilical, Nov 30, 2009.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

hi, I have a lot!!!!! DVDRs with info (some movies etc...) I start see that is better have all on HDs... and dont burn anything on CDs...

good things: everyday the storage are more cheap

bad things: if the hds destroy, all the data are destroit... (well a good solution is mozy.com)

some good options is like http://www.drobo.com

any other solutions???

I have a macpro '08 with 500gb default and 1tb extra, I soon go for more, I think that I can put 4 x 2tb right???

and well the poll? you still burn DVDs ??? or go to full HD storage?? how?

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You can easily have at least 6x2 TB, if you don't mind having no optical drives, and I believe Tesselator has eight drives in his Mac Pro. I have two 750 GB drives and one 500 GB in my machine.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have largely gone to storing things on hard drives.

I use two Drobos. One loaded up with four 2TB drives and the other loaded up with 1.5TB drives. I also have four drive RAID 5 NAS with four 1TB drives. I like the Drobos much more.

4. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

drobo vs lacie? or what other is better than all ???? http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11264

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Personally, I like the Drobos much more. The ease of upgradability is the major selling point for me. For example, if I went with the LaCie, there's no easy way to expand on the capacity. On the Drobos, I can just swap out a smaller drive for a larger one.

6. cmaier macrumors G3

7. supercooled macrumors 6502a

I use to have 4TB in my system but then went and bought an Acer Easystore H340. It's able to share a lot easier and I don't have to keep the beast powered on serving files. I just have 3.2TB now running 640GB WD drives striped.

If I see another sale for a Windows Home Server NAS again, preferably an HP one, I'll pick it up for future consideration.

8. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I have a Mac Mini based NAS (doubling as HTPC) with dual-drive FW800 enclosure.

Sans Digital has some nice external enclosures and NAS products that are consistent with the quality and look of the Mac Pro.

9. fluffyx macrumors 6502

backblaze.com is an awesome online backup service. I have 5 hard drives plugged in to one computer for a total capacity of 3.5TB, and Backblaze backs it all up for $5/mo.

It's still nice to have on-site backups because they're a lot faster to restore from, but Backblaze is affordable protection against natural disasters (e.g., fire).

10. Go Go macrumors newbie

Go Go

storage

you might want to look at an external running raid level 5

maybe something from Buffallo?

11. cmaier macrumors G3

Uh oh. This is the point where the anti-Raid 5 bunch chimes in. (To be honest, though, Raid 5 can be risky).

12. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

In your situation, definitely stick with a drobo, it is super easy to use, expandable, and your storage is safe forever (as long as you replace failing hdds). I have one and it gives me a peace of mind.

13. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

i use only HDD storage. 2x 4 bay NAS RAID 1+0 for backup and speed :)

and of course i have my 16GB usb stick and a 250GB WD passport

14. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

That looked really great until I read about the 4GB file size limit... Bummer...

15. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

backblaze vs mozy ????????????

I hate mozy beacuse I backup a file... and later I delete from my computer... sooooooo the file are deleted from mozy 1 week later...