Little poll about Storage in this days

umbilical

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
hi, I have a lot!!!!! DVDRs with info (some movies etc...) I start see that is better have all on HDs... and dont burn anything on CDs...

good things: everyday the storage are more cheap

bad things: if the hds destroy, all the data are destroit... (well a good solution is mozy.com)

some good options is like http://www.drobo.com

any other solutions???

I have a macpro '08 with 500gb default and 1tb extra, I soon go for more, I think that I can put 4 x 2tb right???

and well the poll? you still burn DVDs ??? or go to full HD storage?? how?

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
You can easily have at least 6x2 TB, if you don't mind having no optical drives, and I believe Tesselator has eight drives in his Mac Pro. I have two 750 GB drives and one 500 GB in my machine.

Comment

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I have largely gone to storing things on hard drives.

I use two Drobos. One loaded up with four 2TB drives and the other loaded up with 1.5TB drives. I also have four drive RAID 5 NAS with four 1TB drives. I like the Drobos much more.

Comment

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I use to have 4TB in my system but then went and bought an Acer Easystore H340. It's able to share a lot easier and I don't have to keep the beast powered on serving files. I just have 3.2TB now running 640GB WD drives striped.

If I see another sale for a Windows Home Server NAS again, preferably an HP one, I'll pick it up for future consideration.

Comment

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I have a Mac Mini based NAS (doubling as HTPC) with dual-drive FW800 enclosure.

Sans Digital has some nice external enclosures and NAS products that are consistent with the quality and look of the Mac Pro.

Comment

fluffyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
backblaze.com is an awesome online backup service. I have 5 hard drives plugged in to one computer for a total capacity of 3.5TB, and Backblaze backs it all up for $5/mo.

It's still nice to have on-site backups because they're a lot faster to restore from, but Backblaze is affordable protection against natural disasters (e.g., fire).

Comment

Go Go

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
NY NY
storage

you might want to look at an external running raid level 5

maybe something from Buffallo?

Comment

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
In your situation, definitely stick with a drobo, it is super easy to use, expandable, and your storage is safe forever (as long as you replace failing hdds). I have one and it gives me a peace of mind.

Comment

MrBrekke

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Norway
i use only HDD storage. 2x 4 bay NAS RAID 1+0 for backup and speed :)

and of course i have my 16GB usb stick and a 250GB WD passport

Comment

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
backblaze.com is an awesome online backup service. I have 5 hard drives plugged in to one computer for a total capacity of 3.5TB, and Backblaze backs it all up for $5/mo.

It's still nice to have on-site backups because they're a lot faster to restore from, but Backblaze is affordable protection against natural disasters (e.g., fire).
That looked really great until I read about the 4GB file size limit... Bummer...

Comment

umbilical

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA

backblaze vs mozy ????????????

I hate mozy beacuse I backup a file... and later I delete from my computer... sooooooo the file are deleted from mozy 1 week later...

Comment