Little question about Boot Camp!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Tarek, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Tarek macrumors 6502

Hello there,

I have been using Windows on my MacBook Pro through Boot Camp for quite a while. First, I did it on my older MacBook Pro which I bought in 2008 and now on my my new one. The thing is, whenever I install Vista or 7, it takes a long time to boot into Windows.

A white dash keeps flashing for around a minute (or a little bit less) and then it boots into Windows. That does not happen, however, when I install Windows XP. I am not sure why!!!!! It is very irritating.

A screen shot for explanation:

[​IMG]

Any information is appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Original Picture: http://i53.tinypic.com/10ppq3t.jpg

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Someone here found the explanation for it some time ago and I lost the thread.

It seems that Boot Camp uses an XP compatible Master Boot Record which causes the delay in booting Vista and 7. You can use W7 to replace the MBR with a W7 compatible one that eliminates the wait.

Let me see if I can find he thread.

B

3. Tarek thread starter macrumors 6502

I am no expert when it comes to things like that, so if you can find that thread for me it would be great. Thank you so much.

4. Tarek thread starter macrumors 6502

balamw, I DID IT! Thank you so much for the MBR tip, I had no idea about that.

I googled and came up with this article which fixed it for me.

I inserted the Windows 7 DVD, restarted computer, booted from DVD, clicked NEXT, chose Repair Your Computer, Use System Image to Restore (or something like that), then cancel and you will find a list of things you can do, choose "Command Prompt".

Now type bootsect /help and then type bootsect /nt60 SYS and then restart the computer.

Done.

Easier instructions:

1) Boot from Windows 7 DVD
    2) Repair Your Computer
    3) Use system image to restore and then click cancel
    4) Choose command prompt (the last choice in the list)
    5) Type bootsect /help then press ENTER
    6) Type bootsect /nt60 SYS then press ENTER

Advantages of doing so:

1) No more delay booting into Windows
    2) You will get the nice, animated "Starting Windows" display instead of the ugly looking progress bar

Enjoy!

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Awesome! I couldn't find the article I wanted (specific to Macs), but now I have yours to reference in the future.

Thanks!

B