Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
i installed vista via bootcamp last night and noticed a red LED light shining out of the headphone jack. once i installed the bootcamp drivers and the audio drivers were enabled, the light disappeared! is this a macbook thing, or are there aliens in my firmwarez? haha

not worried... just a neat observation; i had never seen anything like it.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
The audio sockets are optical as well as analogue. It's normal, don't worry about it.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It's the optical audio output. Technically it should only be on when you have an optical plug connected to it, but it has been known to get stuck on some people's machines. I also seem to remember there being some issues with Windows and the optical audio, but since I run a PowerBook, that's not my area of expertise.

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
when i plug headphones in, the light does not turn on at all (osx). not gonna go into vista tonight, but i'll post back if i remember.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
As mentioned, it's normal. The system doesn't know whether you have an optical device attached until the drivers are installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.