little red light..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sr5878, Jul 27, 2007.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i installed vista via bootcamp last night and noticed a red LED light shining out of the headphone jack. once i installed the bootcamp drivers and the audio drivers were enabled, the light disappeared! is this a macbook thing, or are there aliens in my firmwarez? haha

not worried... just a neat observation; i had never seen anything like it.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

The audio sockets are optical as well as analogue. It's normal, don't worry about it.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's the optical audio output. Technically it should only be on when you have an optical plug connected to it, but it has been known to get stuck on some people's machines. I also seem to remember there being some issues with Windows and the optical audio, but since I run a PowerBook, that's not my area of expertise.

4. Cristian macrumors 6502

Cristian

5. Zer0 macrumors regular

I'm having trouble with that too!! http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=334135

Were you having this trouble on the windows partition only or on OS X too?? If you dont mind, could you try plugging in some earphones and check if the light is still on after plugging them out??

6. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

when i plug headphones in, the light does not turn on at all (osx). not gonna go into vista tonight, but i'll post back if i remember.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As mentioned, it's normal. The system doesn't know whether you have an optical device attached until the drivers are installed.

8. Zer0 macrumors regular