Little Research!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dlpmaster, Jun 12, 2007.

1. dlpmaster macrumors member

So, I work at the Front Desk at Kellogg at Northwestern.
    and I was bored as heck today. Me and a friend at work, were like
    We should call all the possible AT&T/Cingular stores possible, see what
    we can get from them all!

So we did, we called about 8 stores close to our area and also some Apple Stores.
    Here's what we got (might be a double post from other posts MAYBE, I haven't looked)

Apple store:
    It looks like apple stores will be carrying the iPhone on release date, BUT
    they will not sell them until after 6PM, just like Stev'o said on the keynote.
    and we confirmed with other 2 locations. We also asked if it were to be possible to purchase it through a wait list, they told us that there's no wait list, said first come first serve.

AT&T/Cingular
    Ok, I don't know if they are not trying to release information or they were just messing with us, but we got different sayings at different stores.
    First, when I made the first call they told us, that they did not have any information about the iPhone's release or IF they were even going to have the iPhone during release, then we asked about the estimate data plans, they told us, that it would be a starting pan of $20 dollars.
    So we tried different stores, and they told us that they would not be carrying the iPhone until August (!?) and were not able to provide us with more information.
    The other last ones we called, told us that they Couldn't release much information about the iPhone's release, due to the fact that what they were told that the information could change. We then asked if they would be selling the iPhone all day long or would follow Apple's way and wait after 6pm (considering that these tores close at 7pm) they again, told us that they couldn't give us any information about the iPhone. So we asked, well so what do you estimate the data pan would be for the iPhone, and they said, well it could be just like a regular data plan starting at $39.99 for Unlimited Web, and about 1500 text messages.

Then I called a buddy of mine that works at Best Buy,
    he asked around and they told him, that they WILL have the iPhone
    is just that they don't know if they will have any at launch date, but will definitely have some by mid-July.

The last resource was ABT Electronics, and same as best buy, told us that they WILL carry the iPhones just not during launch date, they told us Mid-July early August.

So there you have it, it would be nice to see what people are been told, if anyone has tried calling the stores.

This is going to the point were it looks like Apple will be having a limited number of Phones at release date.

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for the info. i'll probably call my local AT&T store, just to see what they say

3. cjandnw macrumors 6502

4. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

i highly doubt Best Buy will get the iPhone or not anytime soon cause I would have heard about it and ive gotten no wift of it so doubtful for Best Buy

5. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

um... its in the contract with AT&T that the phone will ONLY be sold in Apple stores and AT&T stores. This was all said back in January.

6. dlpmaster thread starter macrumors member

Well, with best buy and ABT, we knew people who work there.
    The thing also is since they have Cingular retail at those stores, I guess they would have a couple units with them.

Now this information is not 100% sure. So, yeah.
    Also, explain then, how some companies will have the iPhone Unlocked.
    I know two of my friends are geting it unlocked. But for like 700 bucks.

So, I'm sure there are other retail store that will carry them as well.
    But main will be APPLE and AT&T

7. cjandnw macrumors 6502

:cool:
    I just called Best Buy;
    Cellular manager stated that Cing / ATT have a lease to exclusively sell the iphone upon release. He is unsure of the lease length; however he IS sure that Best Buy will have the iphone upon the end of the exclusivity lease.
    If anyone can digg further and determine the lenght of this lease, it could be informative.

8. G3blues macrumors newbie

5 years