Little Snitch and how it functions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macswitcha2, Sep 19, 2009.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I got this program because I hear its the best when preventing data from going out. Now, I have no idea what some of the Rules mean. Sometimes a window will pop up, when I start a program, and the accept and deny options are easy to understand but I don't have a clue about some, uh most.

1. Is there a site that contains the glossary of some of the terms?

2. With apps like Bento, since it needs to sync with other programs, what must I do to protect it yet not prevent it from working the way its suppose to work?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A rule is basically letting or preventing a particular program to send information out on a particular port. You can be quite general with littlesnitch rules, like allow all access for a particular program or narrow down the constraint.

Check out the included documentation (in their help) or just google the word you're confused about.

LittleSnitch only blocks access to the internet, i.e., a firewall. It will not hamper programs interacting with each other.