Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
I finally have my new MacMini and Mountain Lion and am starting from scratch installing all my programs.

I am also realizing how much a pain I must have gone through years ago when I set permissions for Little Snitch.

Is there a database out there for all the hundreds of stupid alerts that come up so that I know what the heck I should bother blocking?

Anyone have any rules for what they block?

Did I ask this in the wrong forum? Figured 10.8 would be good because it's my current OS and users here would encounter similar items trying to access the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I tend to just block the things I don't need or want or don't benefit me or work against me... tracking stuff, apps that phone home trying to contact an unneccesary activation server or what not

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
Any listings for Little Snitch configurations?

Hello, I recently updated to 10.8 and with it have cleanly installed all programs including Little Snitch.

I had completely forgotten how tedious the process is setting permissions? Naturally there are a million requests popping up and it's very hard figuring out what they are.

Is there an available list of which items I should block if they don't serve me the greater good?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I don't know of any lists, but many of them I can easily figure out on my own. Others, I will do a Google search to see what they are before making a decision on allowing it or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.