[Little Snitch] How to restore the Alert Panel pop ups?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lucas79, Apr 8, 2009.

1. lucas79 macrumors newbie

Hi fellow Mac lovers, this is my first post here and I've got a question that I browsed the entire forum and could not find an answer...

One of the features I mostly like about Little Snitch is the Alert Panel pop ups, which give me full control of what type of access is given to which applications. Here is the alert panel:

[​IMG]

I found that some users dislike it, and even some discussions were started on how to get rid of it. That's not my case today.

My Little Snitch was working perfectly until I decided to upgrade my Macbook HD to a higher storage. I went to an authorized Mac store, which replaced the new HD into place and advised me to go back home and boot the MacBook with the installation disk pressing C.

Then, after installation, I chose to restore my files from the last Time Machine backup.

However, after doing this it seemed that many applications including Little Snitch started to operate differently... as if I would be running them for the first time.

So in addition to the automatic Time Machine restore, I went to a manual restore of applications and library items.

When I tried to overwrite the files of Little Snitch on the Library folder, I was asked my Administrator password. Then after typing it, I received the message that I did not have sufficient administrator preferences.

So then I decided to upgrade from version 2.02 (the one I was using) to 2.05.

I thought that choosing ¨complete uninstall¨ and then installing the new version would bring me back the pop ups of the Alert Panel.

It did not.

Somehow, the new installation ressurrected all my old Preferences and Rules. And I've been looking everywhere and could not see the solution to have the Alert Panel pop ups.

Anyone have an idea of what I can do?

Just to name examples, when I start Skype, it automatically DOES NOT work. Before, I was prompted with a question from the Alert pop up and would enable it temporarilly to connect.

Today, Little Snitch automatically assumes that, not being listed in the rules as an approved application, it should not connect.

Sorry for the long description, but I guess it is important to let you know the context to be able to tell me where I'm doing something wrong.

I appreciate any insight!

2. lucas79 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have fixed, and discovered something VERY intruguing...

apparently, it was one of my rules... denying access to all applications to the hostname www.adobeereg.com and hostname activate.adobe.com

The strange thing is that these rules were blocking access to ALL applications to the entire Internet. :confused:

3. glasserp macrumors regular

Well that's strange, why would you want to disable Adobe from registering your purchased product?;):p