Little Sprocket Driving Me Nuts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by havmir53, Sep 17, 2014.

1. havmir53 macrumors member

There's a little sprocket that shows up in menu bar ... at the end of the applications section ... it blinks on and off and swaps places with an application a few items towards the right ... then swaps back to the end .. always blinking. I can't open it by catching it with my mouse ... and I can't tag an application in the Activity Monitor.

I've got a late model 2013 15 inch MBP. Anyone have an idea what the little sprocket is? Any ideas on how I might identify the culprit application and get it to stop putting that blasted blinking/shifting sprocket in the menu bar?

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

3. havmir53 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry it took me a while to get back ... yes, running Yosemite. I started uninstalling applications until the gear went away ... and the culprit is a Time Machine Backup Scheduler - a third party application that takes over Time Capsule and schedules other than hourly backups. Reinstall the scheduler and the little gear icon comes back ... blinking and shifting. I sent information to both the third party developer and Apple.

Do you know of any other way of getting rid of the blinking light ... going back to Mavericks is a non-starter for me.

4. deputy macrumors newbie