little terminal experience - checking display, but what am i doing wrong

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mittens79, Aug 15, 2011.

1. mittens79 macrumors newbie

So I am trying to find out the display manufacturer of my new iMac. At the username prompt, I copied and pasted the command that is floating around (without quotes): "ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6" but it did not produce any information. Instead it just brought up another username command line. I have very little experience working with terminal and haven't been able to find any step by step guides. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Nah. Worked on my mini, but it only showed me one of my two displays. Maybe the info isn't all there in the format your source expected. I tweaked it to this:

Code:
    ioreg -lw0 | grep Display | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6
    ...and it showed both of the monitors connected to my mini. Granted, it isn't showing me any information I couldn't have gotten more easily from the System Profiler, but it worked.

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

Just tried it on an '09 iMac. All it says is "Color LCD". This one is an LG. I know because I have the machine open. ;)

Is there a reason you need to know the manufacturer?

4. mittens79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response! So do I just copy and paste the command you posted into the username command prompt and then hit enter? Because I tried that and it just created a new username prompt line. I feel like I'm missing some kind of essential step.

Well, at first I was curious to find out the display manufacturer after reading all the discussions about Samsung vs. LG. Mine looks lovely (no yellow) except a strange black speck that was visible immediately during initial set-up. Now I'm just frustrated that I can't seem to do one measly thing in Terminal!!

Thanks!