Little White List of Approved Apps found in iPhone Update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by netdog, Oct 11, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Apple may have really opened to door to a judge breaking the iPhone free from jail for good.

It seems that in the most recent update, a "white list" of approved apps was found, and a suit recently filed claims that this is a blatant attempt to bar people from using third party apps, and not an inadvertent by-product of a product update as Jobs and company spokespeople claimed would be the policy.

Article in New York Times today

2. pavvento macrumors 6502

Maybe my understanding of this is wrong, or maybe my thinking is archaic. Apple has done not reneged on any GUARANTEES or printed EULA's or contracts or anything. I understand that people think that Apple is wrong in their PHILOSPHY but their actions are not ilegal.

Is it wrong that you can't buy a Windows Media Center P.C. with OS X as the operating System?

Is it wrong that I can't put Windows 6 on my iPhone?

Companies make products and they control what it can be used with. You can't put a HDDVD in a PS3 or a Blu-ray DVD in an XBOX 360- They are controlling what they are allowing you to use.

The iPhone is no different. Everyone knew what they were getting in to, Apple has not tricked anyone or deceived anyone.

3. Merlyn3D macrumors regular

I doubt that "whitelist" is going to hold up in any court. As far as I can tell, all it does is allow you to customize the order that those programs display in Springboard. I believe that's what its function is.

In fact in 1.1.1 you can modify that file to add a fifth icon to the dock.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

WOW.... Apple didn't force you to update your phone to 1.1.1 .... and if you did update, there were pages of user agreements you "signed" ....
    I don't think these layers have a chance

5. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

6. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I think it's more like they sold you a TV and you could only use it with Comcast cable or Directv, but not the provider of your choice.

Then your friends go "hey I get MLB Extra innings do you?"

Then you say "@%^$$& effin Apple's TV only does Adelphia cable and MLB extra innings isn't an option! I'm going to go online and find out how to hack my TV to get Comcast and get whatever programming I want!"