Live and Learn....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gatorman, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Gatorman macrumors regular

Sigh....so I went to the Tampa Apple Store with my MBP last night as it was giving me trouble. Guy at the genius bar tells me that the logic board is dying....and I'm out of warranty. While it's not terribly expensive...it's only a year and a half old and I baby it, so it's frustrating. Note to other users who are sitting on the fence about getting an Applecare extension....DO IT! And also...the minute you suspect something's wrong with it....take it in for service.

I thought it was acting up....and then it goes especially haywire when the warranty runs out. Oh well...such is life! :(

2. PDE macrumors 68020

Did you buy it with a credit card? If yes, chances are you have a one year warranty extension through the credit card company for free. If you did get it on a credit card, just call VISA/MC/AMEX and ask. I think most cards have the automatic doubling of the warranty....

3. PDE macrumors 68020

How did it go? If any moderators see this, can we post a sticky or something to let people know about this free, extended warranty through the credit card companies? It's something that a lot of people don't know about and that can be a real life-saver when you run into trouble outside warranty...

4. Gatorman thread starter macrumors regular

I did buy it with a Visa, so I'm looking into it. I'm about to call them and let you know.....keeping my fingers crossed!

5. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

Best of luck!

6. PDE macrumors 68020

Yes, best of luck! I'm pretty sure you'll be covered - and often you can extend that coverage for a low fee for another 2-3 years. Well worth it and usually excellent service too.

7. Gatorman thread starter macrumors regular

So it did work out! Visa was happy to take care of the cost and I'm going to buy the extended warranty with them. So....I'm sending my laptop off tomorrow at Apple!

Hopefully it comes back feeling much better! :D

8. PDE macrumors 68020

that's great! Happy it worked out. Their extended warranty is really great too - relatively inexpensive, hassle-free and fast reimbursement. They also never questions the problem the way Apple can do sometimes.

Cool!

9. Gatorman thread starter macrumors regular

So....my next thought is...will Apple replace it with my laptop's logic board from parts on hand? Or is it possible I might see an upgrade?

While I doubt the latter will happen, I was just curious.

10. tip macrumors 6502

tip

It will be replaced with an identical part. Apple only does replacements if there are chronic issues, such as having to send it back repeatedly.

11. PDE macrumors 68020

Since you're getting it repaired out of warranty, they will only use parts to repair. However, once you get the visa performance guarantee you're also covered by a no lemon policy which means that after three repairs they replace the computer for you. And, just fyi, your battery is also covered under the VISA plan.

12. Gatorman thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I wasn't thinking I'd get a new MBP, but more or less a new logic board with a faster processor. That's doubtful, though, too.

At any rate, it's on its way! I hope it comes back better than ever!

13. Gatorman thread starter macrumors regular

Got it back today....on schedule!

Turned out the problem was the Hard Drive! Go figure. Anyway, I'm glad to have it back and it works perfectly! :D