Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
I have been reading a lot of posts here about people worried that if they buy a Macbook now, a new one will be released in two weeks with some update, or that the price will drop.

This will always happen. If you keep waiting you'll never get one. Maybe at the expo one will be announced that is coming out in 2 months, so instead of waiting for WWDC you'll be waiting for WWDC and another 2 months.

These are made to be enjoyed, so buy one and enjoy it! Don't lose sight of why you want a Macbook. It seems like the quest becomes more of an appeal than the computer & its uses itself.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I agree, to a point. One shouldn't put off buy a new laptop because people have a "gut feeling"

But right before WWDC and when Apple sends out invitations for special events , I'd wait, and I'd advise others too. You're either way more or get more for your dollar

But I don't really care when people buy their laptop, it won't effect me, but that said, I think people should if the computer there are buying is nearing its end of live. Then they can make a decision themselves

aprofetto

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Interesting idea, I totally agree.

Technically, if you always wait until a faster and more powerful version comes out, you should never buy one in the first place.

Of course, a month before an inevitable update, maybe its worth waiting, but otherwise I say... rock on brothers and sisters!

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I don't agree. The macbook is getting due for an update, quite possibly a small speed bump. It is also known from Apple to release new stuff and updates at WWDC. So, if you don't really need the computer right now, why not wait? From one day to another, the computer can possibly get something along the line of a 200$ discount or a 7 months rejuvenation (11% of the life of computer if you plan on owning it for 4 years) and possibly more for students...

Why would I want a new macbook? To have a more capable computer to replace my current machine, not because it's shinny and new. People at Starbucks won't know anyways, it probably won't be a cosmetic upgrade ;)

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Why wouldn't you wait??? Its only two weeks away for pete sakes! If nothing happens, it wouldn't have done any harm in waiting. With that said, I do believe at the minimal we will see an ipod thrown in for the back to school promo soon.

dentedG4

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Just a theory here,
the OP is a "General Electronics Technician
Affordable Macbook LCD screen replacement services."
Maybe he knows that apple will be offering a matte display option along with the macbook refreshes at WWDC. So the more people that buy a macbook before the update, the more people will need to enlist his company's services to replace their LCD with a matte one. ;)

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
I stopped offering mattes. At first I argued the idea that they looked better and had less glare, so when I ran out of my stock of glossys, I bought only mattes. I am not a fan of glossy LCDs, especially since I typically use laptops in high glare environments.

However, I had enough of phone conversations that went like this.

customer: so, uh, do you use the same original screen?

me: no, I use a matte LCD of equal quality to the original. The difference is in the finish, they do not glare as badly and offer less color distortion, and graphics design professionals usually won't be caught dead using glossy screens.

customer: what's matte?

me: the opposite of glossy.

customer: oh. um, what if i wanted a glossy? I like glossy better.

me: have you ever seen a matte screen?

customer: no. i like glossy better, i want a glossy

I get to avoid that depressing part of the conversation(depressing part in italics where someone tells me they prefer part A to part B not ever having seen part B) if I stick with glossy. I am 100% sure that every person that preferred the glossy to the matte did so because the word glossy sounds cooler and shinier than the word matte. This is proved true as people would admit to not even knowing what matte means when saying they didn't like it.

It's actually cheaper for me to get glossys than mattes for any model(about 15-30% cheaper when buying in large quantities), so I'll leave changing the world to someone else.

I am truly grateful that manufacturers have convinced people that glossy is better as those LCDs are the ones I can get cheaper, which allows me to make a bigger profit for any given repair quote. It's like being a car salesman at a place where you can sell a BMW and a honda for the same price and get a higher commission for selling the BMW. For once, the salesman gets to be the good guy and make money being the good guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.