Live.com? Can someone explain it

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ChrisN, Oct 30, 2008.

1. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Hi well lately I've been hearing a lot about cashback with live.com and getting huge discounts but what is live? Is it a microsoft service and is it safe?

Also, I'm thinking about getting a MBP and how much would live.com take off it?

Thanks,
    ChrisN

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Live.com is a MS product.

Max is $200. Here's how it works:

1.Visit Microsoft Live Search: www.live.com
    2.In the Live Search box, enter your search for a product*.
    3.Click on any eligible eBay-sponsored ad. This brings you to the eBay site.

Important: Your cashback offer will be good for 60 minutes from the time you click the ad and arrive on eBay.com. You must complete a purchase on eBay of any eligible items within 60 minutes of clicking the ad. For definition of eligible items and conditions, see Terms of Use.
    4.Look for your cashback rebate percentage at the top of the eBay page (you MUST see this for it to apply. Don’t see it? Log out of ebay and return to step #1).
    5.After you purchase an eligible item and pay for it with PayPal, go to My Messages in My eBay for an email with instructions on how to claim your cashback.

Important: You must click the Get cashback button in the email.
    6.You now need to use the link in your My Messages to link a PayPal Account with your Microsoft Rebate Center Account.

Once you have linked these accounts, it may take a few days for the eBay purchase to be seen in your Microsoft Rebate Center account.
    7.Microsoft will deposit your cashback redemption into your PayPal account 60 days after the eBay transaction has successfully completed including payment. Once payment is requested, it may take up to 14 days to show up in your PayPal account.

*As of this posting, there is a loophole in how the cashback behaves. If you search a bunch of terms (like macbook, apple tv, etc) you will see that the % off changes for each item. Currently, if you click on the highest percent off to get taken to eBay, you will retain that higher % off, no matter what you actually end up purchasing.

3. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Elaborate on the last part with the *? Legitimately, the highest discount I can find for Apple TV is 25%.

Also, do you have to create some sort of account w/ Microsoft?

4. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Easiest way I've been doing it is to go to Live.com and search for a Wii. Yeah, I know you aren't buying a Wii but this is to ensure you get the maximum cashback percentage (which is currently 25%; capped at $200 max).

After you search for the "Wii", at the very top you'll see a link for "Live search cashback". Click on it and it will appear on the eBay page at the top. From there you can buy whatever you want as long as it's a Buy It Now auction w/ Paypal.

I scored a new aluminum macbook for $999 (I had a 10% off ebay coupon) and last night I got my second 24" LCD monitor for $225. MS is giving me $300 so far. :D

As far as the MS account goes, you can make an account for free. You can also use an existing account if you use MSN, Hotmail, or Xbox Live since they are all integrated.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The % off varies with time. The highest that's been reported was 30. I could only find 25% as well, but it's a moot point with the cap at $200.

phobic - the wii is a perfect thing to search for! I was racking my brain trying to think of some ultra-popular item they would be paying a high % for.

6. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

This particular one expired yesterday :(.

Ebay sent them to what I believe to be lightly active accounts in an attempt to get more business rolling (Amazon is kicking their butt, according to an article in last weeks NYT).

8. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

weird that would be just like me, hopefully I'll get one sometime soon.

Thanks for the input